1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of TV Captures

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by loubat, Jun 27, 2005.

1. loubat

loubat Member

I was wondering if captures from tv tuner cards were generally pretty crummy looking at full screen? Is it just my combination of card (ATI Wonder Pro) and cables (a 50 foot coax cable split from the digital cable box to the pc) or if that's just the way things are supposed to look before you fix them up with editing software and whatnot?

Would I get a noticable difference in quality if I switched to an S-video cable or RCA jacks?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  2. Woofcat

Woofcat Member

No, You can buy Hi-def Tv capture cards. In your setting did you turn the bitrate way down? My old beast looks just like a Tv.

3. loubat

loubat Member

Without actually having HiDef tv signal, that wouldn't do me any good though would it?

When I view the file it says 361 kbps. I don't think I ever saw any options in my capture program to set a bitrate, just resolution and compression.

4. RRDYG

RRDYG Member

I use an ATI AIW 9000 card in a pc for my main tv. If you use the cable input (tv tuner), it can have a little loss of quality. I have mine connected with the A/V (3-wire) connect instead and looks perfect. Just don't use DirecTV or DishNetwork for your recording sources, the extremely low resolution sucks.

PC:
    19" Monitor
    ATI All In Wonder 9000
    Intel 3.2 Gig w/256 Meg Ram
    1 - 120 Gig Harddrive
    1 - 160 Gig Harddrive
    Twinhan VP1020A Satellite Tuner Card (HD and 4:2:2 DVB Feeds)
    10/100 Ethernet LAN
    (All recording done in High DVD quality mode using included ATI software)

Input Sources:
    4DTV Satellite Receiver (C/KU DCII Digitial)
    GI 450i Satellite Receiver (C/KU Analog)
    Satcruiser 201P Satellite Receiver (C/KU DVB FTA Digitial)

Workstation:
    Intel 2.8 Gig 512 Meg Ram
    ATI AIW 7000 Tuner Video Card
    1 - 80 Gig Hard Drive
    2 - 120 Gig Hard Drives
    10/100 Ethernet LAN
    DVD RW Drive
    TMPGEnc DVD Author
    DVD Shrink

I do a lot of recording, editing, and dvd burning.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  5. WolfwoodX

WolfwoodX Member

I had a WinTV PVR-500, but was not happy with the quality of the video. I tryed many programs, BeyondTV, SageTV, Dscaler, and some others, but finaly just got a Humax DTR-800 TiVo instead. Much happier with that choice.

6. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

I just purchased a Fujiplus digital tuner card to replace Hauppauge PVR-350. I was real dissapointed with the grainy picture with the 350. I tried adjusted numerous settings and Hauppauge was no help. I also checked and redid several connections on my cable/spitters.

The picture is the same with the Fujiplus, very grainy. However, Fujiplus has a built in strength meter in their software. It indicates my signal strength at 2%. I do have multiple splitters because of the amount of TV's in the house. I will see what the picture quality and strength meter say, once installed.

I am currently waiting to receive my drop amp for increasing signal strength. See www.cabletvamps.com

Jimliner