1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality of vcd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by closer2, Mar 9, 2003.

1. closer2

closer2 Member

well I have followed the forum in conveting avi to vcd.The problem is the video is very blocky in fast moveing scenes is there anything that can be done about this and if so what.I used tpmge and v-dub to do this.Im petty sure I have made all the needed ajustment such has what chicken man
    suggests with the setting.If there is nothing i can do to make the picture better is there a better format to put it to.In his instruction for the file size of the movie 352-240 he says it is better to convert to vcd.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Playback from your hd or from your backup (burned to cd-r)?

Shoey

3. closer2

closer2 Member

this is from the burned back-up cd-r

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

How fast did you burn?
    Does the "original" avi file have pixelation playback problems. Best burn mode is 4x, safe burn mode is 8x. Some home dvd players& dvd roms can't handle burned movies at high speeds causing playback problems.

Shoey

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I think the problem here is just that the movie has fast scenes. VCD uses 1150kb/s contant birate rate which means that it might not be enough for the fast scenes and may be way too much for the slow scenes. Personally I like VBR encoding but you need to be creating SVCD for it. I also tried constant quality once on a non standard vcd and it was pretty good!

6. closer2

closer2 Member

The dvd player i have is made to play back cd-r
    by panasonic (eur7617010). Has far as burning speed i did it at 4 times.The original was a great copy. Dela i think you maybe right but to burn svcd you need to have a dvd burner right,by the way how do you use constant quality

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  7. closer2

closer2 Member

dela I tried constant quality the integrity was better thank you very much.

8. Dela

Constant Quality wont be standard vcd so be warnded!! BTW, you do NOT need a dvd burner to burn SVCD!

9. closer2

closer2 Member

well when I tried to burn an svcd in nero 5.5
    and it said that there was a plug-in that was required or missing and does chicken man have instuctions for that type of conversion to svcd

Last edited: Mar 15, 2003
  10. Dela

The plugin is the NERO svcd plugin! you only need that if you are using Nero to encode an SVCD for you! You should encode your own SVCD with other programs (DVD2SVCD with CCE SP/ProCoder is a good option!)

11. closer2

closer2 Member

dela I tried to encode to svcd format and what happened was the playback was choppy.I encoded from mpeg one to mpeg two using the tmpge program.I believe Imade the right adjustment when uesing the program,but maybe I forgot to do something.Oh by the way would it be better if I encoded it from an avi to mpeg2 to improve the quality.Again I can't tell you how much your help has made things easier.
    thanks
    closer2

12. Dela

it would be best if you encode from whatever was the source like if it was an avi!

13. closer2

closer2 Member

ok,but I was using dvd2svcd1.1.1 and went throught chicken man instructions and when I was done it said click the go on the conversion tab and it will not allow me to do this any clue, I know I am a pain
    thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2003