1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality on uncompressed rips

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sebmel, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sebmel

sebmel Member

Hi,

I'm new to this whole dvd ripping thing, so please excuse me if my question sounds stupid or obvious. Basically my aim is to backup whole DVDs to my HD, in ISO format, so that I can play them back on my PC without needing to insert the disc. HD capacity is not an issue, so I won't be compressing them in any way. My question is, will the quality of the rip be identical to the original disc?

I've gathered that there are a few alternatives for getting the rips:

DVD decrypter
    RipIt4Me
    AnyDVD
    DVDFabDecrypter

From what I can tell the first one is very good but will have problems with newer encryption methods, for which the second and third are helpful. The fourth doesn't record ISO files from what I can tell.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, once I have recorded the ISO files, I would like if possible to remove unwanted things such as foreign subtitles, FBI warnings etc. Is this possible without affecting the quality of the film?

2. david66

david66 Regular member

in order to do what you stated you need to use dvd shrink with it you can remove unwanted things and shrink will create an iso image

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

ok..... you want the best quality without compression...... all you need is RipIt4Me and don't use Shrink! Just rip using DVDDEcrypter in RipIt4Me...... it will create a PLS file that will rip even the newer movies and encryptions to the hard drive..... then it will use FixVTS and take out the encryptions totally so you'll have a clean DVD rip!!!! Then use a great free program call ImgBurn (created by the same person who did DVDDecrypter):
    [​IMG]
    and ripping with DVDDecrypter will keep the original quality of the DVD! It doesn't change files ripped from the DVD so the quality is the same!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I am just curious about one thing here, what program are you going to use to watch the ISO image?

5. sebmel

sebmel Member

Thanks very much for the responses. Very helpful.

I'm using Elaborate Bytes's Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO file as a virtual drive. The computer can't tell the difference between that and a real drive, so you can use any program you want to watch it (PowerDVD in my case).

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok you know what you are doing then. I was just making sure most people don't know about virtual drives, but I see you have done your homework on this one. Basically any burning software will save a DVD to your hard drive in ISO format, but if you are wanting to remove anything from the movie (which I would just copy the movie) then DVD Shrink would probably be your best bet and it will save the movie as an ISO also.

7. sebmel

sebmel Member

But won't DVD Shrink reduce the quality also? My number 1 priority is getting a 1:1 identical copy of the DVD (except of course for the parts that I will delete).

Will it also allow me to preview the sections so I can tell what I'm deleting?

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Shrink will do all of that, and as long as you change the output size under "File" and "Preferences" you make it custom and put in something like 9200 this will make any DVD without compression therefore a 1:1 copy and if you just select main movie only this will cut down the need of hard drive space unless you just like all the extras for somereason and have plenty of HD space to burn.