1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality question!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sumo2, Aug 9, 2003.

1. sumo2

sumo2 Guest

Hi, i wonder if someone of you know which file type gives best quality of these two: DivX or SVCD? And can you please answer which type who is best if i got DSL?

/thx

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well quality would be your personal opinion wouldnt it? ;P Personally though I prefer Xvid because I like to watch stuff on my computer rather than a tv/projector.

Huh?!

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

LOL I second that.

@sumo2:

Personally divx and/or xvid encoded movies look better than svcds. Plus svcds use only one resolution(480x480 for NTSC movies and 480x576 for PAL movies)while divx/xvid movies can have resolutions up to 1920x1088.

4. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

I seriously despise svcd. I am not even sure why that dino-format is still popularly used on bittorent sites or kazaa. Most dvd standalones can't play it, and divx and xvid look way better on the pc that svcd ever will.

Svcd is a pointless waste of loose encoding as far as I'm concerned. I guess it is for the people who want to watch those instaed of buy a dvd burner. Why?

5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Maybe its a preference thing or maybe some people arent ready to spend the money for a dvd burner.

I too don't like SVCDs though probably not as much as you. Mostly its because of the set resolution of 480x480, and the the maximum bitrates allowed for svcds.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not everybody likes SVCDs.... I dont ;-) Sumo2 if you are trying to decide between the two formats:
    - AVI files offer superior quality for their size (i.e., entire movies can be shrunk to 700MB) however they can only be played on computer (and certain standalones)
    - SVCDs are typically 2-3cds and dont offer the same quality however they can be played on standalones in addition to computer
    Since I play everything on computer anyways I prefer AVIs