1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about 1394 connections on back of HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Motomatt, May 25, 2004.

1. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

My manuals for my HDTV say I can record through these connections with a digital VCR. Would it be possible to hook my PC up and record with it instead? thanks

Matt

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey Matt, i believe that Firewire cables support the IE1394 standards. If you TV is outputting a 1394 port, and its not ust an input for digital camcorders, which is the norm, then i dont see why you couldnt connect it to a PC with a compatible Firwire input. You'll need some sort of firewire cables:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/digital.asp

3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Oriphus,

It has 3 seperate 1394 connections.. I beleive this will work, I just dont have a clue on what software to use with it to make it work after I get the two connected. It will be awsome if I could record high definition.. thanks for the reply

Matt

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No Problem, there is a Home Theatre PC section on Afterdawn which could probably help out in that regard to software.

Take Care
    Chris

5. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I dragged the pc into my living room and tried this out.. The PC recognized the TV and a few other devices. Now the only trouble is finding drivers. It finds a "AV/C" device and also a "unknown" device but windows cannot locate any drivers for them. So thats where I am stuck now.. I manually tried most of the obvious drivers that might work and still no luck. thanks for the input.

Matt

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Motomatt let us know what you find out, I too am interested in this.
    Do you currently record on your PC using a different input? I suppose a digital VCR just sees an input, and records it...
    What does - the HD TV? 3 outputs? Are they all the same thing (Like, my Laserdisk his 3 identical Y/C outputs)?
    So you have a removable device (AudioVideo/Capture) that pops up on your firewire, let us know if you find some kind of driver or recording support for this.
    Regards

8. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

My HDTV has three 1394 connections on the back.. My HDTV manual says that the HDTV can "run" other devices through the 1394 connections. Basicly record,forward,reverse,stop the usual stuff a camcorder or Digital VCR can do.. So it's just a matter of me finding a compatable driver that windows XP likes.. I have connected it and got as far as trying to load the drivers for the devices it located. It shows identical hardware to my friends camcorder. I didn't play around with it very long but I am determined to get this to work. I also got a bunch of HTPC programs that I need to try. I am hoping one of them will maybe override XP and access the 1394 connection all by itself and not need XP. Just a thought.. I will experiment this week sometime and get back to you.. I would love to be able to record high definition.. as well as play it back on my HDTV through the computer.. I hope it works...

Matt

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Well, at some point XP is going to have to be involved, because Windows NT (XP is NT 5.1) doesn't allow anything to directly access hardware. Theoretically this shouldn't be a problem, since essentially what you're looking for should be a program that listens for requests, similar to the way a web server listens for page requests. There may or may not be a special driver required, since the idea behind firewire is that every device speak the same language and be essentially peers on a network, which is why your 1394 ports show up as network devices in the Device Manager. Of course the problem with most capture software is that it's only designed to make the requests and not respond to (or even listen for) them, but hopefully there's something out there that will do the trick.

Make sure to keep us informed if you find anything. This is exactly the sort of thing I've been waiting to see since I first heard of firewire in the late 90s.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  10. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I will let you know what happens. I'm gonna give it another go this weekend. I too am pretty excited about getting it working. Let me know if you guys have any ideas to try. oh yeah.. almost forgot.. Here is a link to a TV that looks pretty sweet! check it out.. http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=plasma42&v=press

Matt

11. vurbal

After a doing a little searching, I'd say what you're looking for is a program that emulates a DVHS deck because that's what the TV is designed to control. Not a lot of help, but maybe it narrows down your searching a little.

Edit: Even better. There's a thread on AVSForums that may give you good instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403695
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  12. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Vurbal,

Thanks alot! That was what I needed. They are talking about my exact mitsubishi intergrated HDTV.. thanks again, I think I might give it a try tonight.

Matt

13. vurbal

Cool. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

14. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

It works! But only with those mentioned programs in the thread you told me about. I can record my OTA HDTV broadcasts!! I haven't been able to play anything back directly onto my HDTV screen yet so I am still working on that part. I can play my recorded broadcast back on my pc which looks even better than my HDTV screen.. I guess because its smaller.. But still it looks awsome.. It's late I will chat more tomorrow.. thanks again Vurbal!!

Matt

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  15. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Excellent link vurbal, thanks!
    (Ahead of your time, you guys are pioneers...)
    Well I guess the clock is ticking, for good ol' NTSC anyway.
    Interesting that a PC monitor display is still better than HDTV display, smaller of course.
    Regards

16. vurbal

No problem. Unfortunately I don't have a TV that will allow me to test this stuff for myself, so all I can do now is dream and help other people figure it out. Now I know who to talk to when I have questions later. ;)