1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Blu-Ray Rips

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by gcooldude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. gcooldude

gcooldude Regular member

I have a few questions regarding Blu-Ray Rips. I am considering to buy a Blu-Ray Writer as they are now decently priced along with the discs. My first question is if I want to make a backup of my Blu-Ray disc how do I do that? Also, I notice the blank Blu-Ray discs are 25GB, if Blu-Ray movies are higher than that how do you make the backup?

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

4. gcooldude

gcooldude Regular member

Is dvdfab a free software? So with dvdfab you just insert the blu-ray movie into the drive and it'll make a copy on your hdd and compress it down to 25gb and then burn with imgburn?

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

dvdfab has a free trial after that its payware. dvdfab has a burning engine also so you will not need imgburn

6. gcooldude

gcooldude Regular member

Okay, I will look into buying DVDFab. Does video quality stay the same when compressed to 25GB disc?

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you will lose some but not much, doing the movie only will help alot

8. gcooldude

gcooldude Regular member

I was looking at Blu-Ray 50GB discs and they are a lot more than the 25GB

9. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

DVDFAB blu ray copy works like dvd shrink only for blu ray. I do main movie only plus the high def audio and remove everything else. If this won't fit on 25gb I split it to two disks using the start/end box. EX. 28 chapters,do 1-14 then 15-28.I use Verbatum 2x 25gb LTH disks. Just found them at amazon $26.99 for 20 disks.Excellent quality and cheaper than my dvdDL +r disks. I will use this method until price of 50gb comes down. A guy in the fab forum started a thread that lists the movies that he knows about that will fit on 25gb,no compression. The ones I have that will fit are, Pirates of the Carribean, Ice Age, Toy Story 3. I split Iron Man and Transformer 2. The results are great. The program is well worth the money. You will know right away if your movie will fit after removing everything. As it scans, at the bottom you will see Ex. 19.25=>19.25. If not,you will see 27.37=>23.00. It will then compress but this takes forever. I want true blu ray so I split. The program is set by default at 23.3gb. Anything larger,it will compress so I start over and use the method above. Hope this helps. NOTE: If you want to keep all the extras,on most titles you'll have to compress.

10. brianp480

brianp480 Member

I personally don't care for DvdFab. I've had too many issues with it while using "movie only" mode. The picture is great, but the audio stream is incorrect. The audio is directors cut/narrator.

Ive found BD Rebuilder (which is free) you can download it from Afterdawn and Anydvd work great! Rip the BluRay movie to hard drive using Anydvd. BD Rebuilder will burn whole movie, movie only, and will shrink it down to whatever size disc you have. Anydvd is a little pricy, but they've been around for a long time,update fast, and will rip anything you throw at it.

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i watched a few that are compressed and there is not much difference. DVD Rebuilder does do a better job if you are compressing. brian480 which version of DVD Rebulider are you using?

12. brianp480

brianp480 Member

I'm using 0.37.03 Beta I will say the downside to BD Rebuilder is it SEEMS to really zap the computers resources. DvdFab also did this, but didn't seem to be as much. Maybe because Fab utilized CUDA technology whereas BD doesn't? (At least I don't think it does?)

13. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Brian, I too had a little trouble with the audio stream at first. Its screwed up in the preview window. I just pick the audio on the top line (Dts hd) and its good to go. Quick and dirty.

14. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I don't use rebuilder but I gather its good because so many people use it. I have compressed a few movies and picture was average. The problem I had was the audio. I have a top surround sound system and I really heard the difference. It wasn't good. I'm not saying rebuilder is no good just that I want my backups to be just like the originals. My preference only. My brother-in-law has a 65in tv and he is backing up his movies my way and all he can say is WOW.