1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Vitb6, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Vitb6

Vitb6 Member

What is the minimum % you need to have to achieve a great looking picture? Obviously 100% is best, but perhaps anything over 85% is extremely hard to tell a difference. Perhaps that number is above 90%. I'm not sure. Anyone have any opinions on the matter they would like to share?

2. hursty

hursty Active member

i have gone down to 50%,pushing it,i know,but it played ok

3. ozy

ozy Regular member

It really depends on the size of your T.V screen as to how much pixelation is seen. I have gone to just over 50% and watched it on a 42" plasma and everything looked OK!

4. budberner

budberner Guest

Does't Clone give you a graph showing a color range and quality scale? Try and keep it as high as posssible but understand the lower you go,the less quality. Get rid of foriegn language,subtitles,audio,...ect. If you want good quality go with movie only and 3/6 audio or 5.1 with the best media you can afford and write slow. If I have doubts I write @ 2-2.4X. It will show on the graph when you are getting close to sacaficing quality. Good Luck

5. Vitb6

Vitb6 Member

Writing slower doesn't save space or make the quality better right? It just makes it less likely that you'll burn a coaster. I use Ritek's and have never burned a coaster with them. I always burn on max speed.

6. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

There are two types of people who make DVD backups - those who have made "coasters" and those who will :)

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I try to keep my movies above 65%. I have done some at 50% as tests and they play OK except in some fast action parts or when brightness changes from one extreme to another as with an on screen explosion. I push for the 75% when possible.

Jerry

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Just tried CloneDVD2 and have a couple of questions also. I know that in Shrink I can adjust the Menu's and also the extras to full compression in Custom Compression and leave the Main Movie alone. Unless I am missing something in CloneDVD2, I can only remove unwanted audio or commentary, but cannot compress menus or extras more then the main movie. Am I wrong on this? Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks

9. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I only use AnyDVD and Clone DVD2. I try to hit numbers of 60% or higher after deleting previews, etc.
    I'm not aware of varilable compression capabilities. I think it's either compress all the same or eliminate. However, I really haven't tried either.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey ScubaBud, You are correct. There are no extra settings in CloneDVD but I have never noticed any problems in over a year of use with Clone doing its thing with the compression. The dvds all seem to come out great so I don't even worry about it now. I usually keep the extras about the actual movie and menu intact. Then remove the extra audio and trailers which seem to get the compression up far enough. Even with the quality bar in the high end of the yellow I seem to get good results. My opinion is Clone has a little better encoder than Shrink which allows for higher compression but still gives good final results.

Jerry

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks Jerry :)

I'm going to play with it and make a couple of comparisons both ways. I normally just remove the extra audio/commentaries and leave the trailers but I’ll try removing the trailers also. The only problem I have seen so far is that when the “Sheep are eating popcorn”, I start to get hungry and go get a snack. I guess better compression but a fatter ScubaBud will be the net result.

12. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Yor know you can replace the animation if you want, perhaps with the one in your sig?

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Now you tell me, after eating a bag of popcorn and a couple of Rice Krispie treats! <G>

Actually I just read that info on their website. Thanks.