1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about DVDXCopy Xpress

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by infini, Jan 2, 2004.

1. infini

infini Guest

I saw an option in DVDXCopy Xpress, under the tab video format "full screen" and "wide screen". What exactly is the difference between the two? If i select "full screen" the movie will fit in the whole screen but won't show as mhch as in "widescreen mode" in the left and right side?

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Xcopy Xpress will copy Fullscreen if you have it set to Fullscreen and there is a Fullscreen movie on the DVD. If no Fullscreen movie is found it will copy Widescreen regardless of your setting. Same goes for Widescreen setting. It won't convert a movie screen size for you.

Fullscreen = full 4:3 tv screen.
    Widescreen = wider field of view with borders top & bottom depending on what format it was filmed in.

When I was using 321Studios products I left Xpress set to Fullscreen, English language, English subtitles.

RWG

3. wallstAL

wallstAL Member

Then what is the point of having it!

4. dcdoc

dcdoc Guest

Hey folks, Must inject this point: In full screen, a good deal of the visual peripheral is lost! I went thru a Full screen kick for a short time, but after seeing how MUCH is lost from the original scene/screen, I am a true blue wide screen fan now. Worth studying yourself...a much more "impressive" effect I think with WIDESCREEN, and more of what the film maker intended to get across in the film.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's not always the case, many movies were shot "full screen" and simply masked at the theaters for a 1.85:1 widesdreen effect. With some of the Lethal Weapon series the full screen version actually shows more of the original film.

6. dcdoc

dcdoc Guest

HEy Mystic, U could be right...but what u speak of is likely more the EXCEPTION, true in very FEW cases. Most "reformats" involve clipping of the peripheral./left & right. Don't know about Lethal WEapon, thats an oldie! Was that a Bruce Willis film? Anyway...a search of WS versus FS,on Google for example, will yield some good graphic comparisons of the two formats. Touche'!

7. dcdoc

dcdoc Guest

Well, friends, had my first Xcopy xpress failure!
    Was trying The Matrix( first movie), and it wudn't take it.
    Only thing I can figure,is that THAT movies' listed run time is 131 minutes. This exceeds the range of data space on regular commercially available DVD media,( for HQ.),which is 120 min.
    But I did get a good burn on Basic Xcopy (on two disks
    of course). So take heed!

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Naw, I don't think it's the running time just that particular DVD. Many older standalones had problems when Martix first hit the streets.

9. dcdoc

dcdoc Guest

Hey Mystic! Hmmmm...dunno for sure what u mean by "standalone". But so far, Matrix is the only one I haven't been able to coax it to do. I am no techie, so wud be lost tryin' sum of the other stuff I read about here. But.,alas, will probably try sum,like Shrink ,when I get the courage up. But also note some think it (Shrink) is too hard and slow to mess with. I burnt about 3 other movies last night, so I am thinking its sumthin' in that particular DVD. I THINK when they list a running time, that means the feature or movie itself, and not inclusive of the special features. Is that right?:)?

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

11. wallstAL

wallstAL Member

Running time has nothing to do with it, I made a sucessful copy the original and the Matrix Reloaded with Xpress.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  12. dcdoc

dcdoc Guest

Heya Walsie. Gotcha. Thanks! At least I know it HAS been done. Am outta town this weekend, but will regroup in a few days and GO 4 IT when I return.Y'all have a good weekend.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My sony dru510a reads 7.8 gig in 50 mins & burns the aforementioned data in 25mins. Your compression software in your dvdx express/platinum should cope with what you want. I backed up my Lord of the rings with very little loss in picture quality.