1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about jailbreaking Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by serpiroth, Jun 29, 2009.

1. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

This is my first iphone, and i choose the 3gs 16gb black. Let me just say that this thing is wicked fast, but i am disappointed in the app store not having free fun games, or games that can keep up with what the iphone can do, or even very useful apps. Although i am a little worried about the whole jail breaking of the iphone, so if you all would just humor a few questions for me that would be great.

1) If i jailbreak, do i have to change what the OS 3.0 looks like? I saw pictures of jailbroken iphones with all different themes, but in all honesty i like the way it looks. Also if i DL that program to change the theme, will i always be able to change it back to the original?

2) Do i lose capability to get into the regular apple app store?
    3) Do i lose the apps i already have? Do they continue to work?
    4) Can i set up the jailbreak so my iphone has no signs of it being jail broken except for a few extra app icons to the jail broken apps?
    5) Does jail breaking the iphone breach my contract with At&t?
    6) When you DL a app to turn your iphone into a modem allowing tethering, does at@t charge you? If i DL an app for this does it still go under the "unlimited" (aka 5gb) data plan, or does it immediately start charging ridiculous rates?
    7) Does jackbreaking the iphone make it run slower?
    8) Do i lost the newly added benefits of OS 3.0? Like landscaping the keyboard, copy/paste, etc etc... Or do i have to go through the annoying process of DLing 3rd party apps to do what os 3.0 came with?
    9) Is jail breaking more like a whole new OS or more of a crack/addon?
    10) In the jail breaking of the iphone, did apple put in any devices (like the psp has or had) that purposely self-destructs(for lack of a better word) if someone messes with the OS?
    11) When jailbreaking an iphone, do i need to back up my music, contacts, and apps? And if so what program would be best? Does idump support iphone?
    12) What is the difference between jail breaking with Pwnage Tool, Redsn0w, quickfreedom, and quickpwn? Are there any others? What is recommended as the best?
    13) Are there any reasons not to jailbreak the iphone?

Any other tips that any of you would like to add in to all of this will be greatly appreciated

If it matters i am running Windows Xp.

I am very skilled in dealing with ipod/itunes, but am totally new to iphone so please forgive what might seem like a stupid question. I am no stranger to this sort of thing, but i do want to protect my new beloved purchase.

Thanks a lot for the help on this in advance. I no there is a lot of questions so i really appreciate the answers. Lets just hope i don't come up with more. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

questons resolved

3. pdecency

pdecency Member

I have the same questions.... Have the 3g. can't afford the high monthly fees. I am considering breaking the contract and just putting the phone away. If my service is shut off by my carrier. Can I still jailbreak my iphone? Also, what carrier would be best? And I have no skills in doing this. How diffucult is this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

poor man