1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about my processor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stylist99, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

can you get to the http://www.newegg.com home page? It works fine for me and I'm not even from the USA!

2. stylist99

stylist99 Member

It won't let me get to newegg.com. I went in and changed by browser settings, and it still won't let me. The page says that the site might be down right now and to try again later. So I guess I'll have to just try later. I am very anxious to see this system that you put together for me.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well it's very odd that it doesn't load the page where you are. The site is up because I can see it.
    [​IMG]

4. stylist99

stylist99 Member

I just tried again to get on that site and no luck. Thank you for the info. I'm going to show it to my husband.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  6. stylist99

stylist99 Member

thank you ireland. I clicked on the bottom link you posted and it did take me to the page, but when I tried to click on anything on that page, the page wouldn't load. I guess, I'll try again tomorrow, but thank you for help.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd try shoving that code before any of the other pages and see what happens. Very bizarre, what that link seems to be doing is bringing up the homepage via a different server since the default one for some reasons is down.

8. stylist99

stylist99 Member

I tried that but it didn't work either. I wonder how long they will be down?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Considering newegg's size, probably not too much longer, but given that their backup server is working, I'm not sure.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest i think the others are better!

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

well not really my second one has everything oyu need for vides editing a fast cpu dual core , 500gb room , and 2gb of ram and a descent video card these are all things you need for video work it also has a big 4mb L2 cache

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 7300LE is a decent video card, right......Better than integrated, but only just! That clearly isn't the point of that PC though. I'd be surprised if anyone other than a power user used 500GB of storage. The dual core's OK but not fantastic.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

what do u mean not fantastic theyre mad better then the amd in the acer for sure,500gb is alot but i have an external hardrive which is 300gb and an internal 300gb one and the external one is about 280gb full mainly movies and games internal one is about 190gb full and most of the stuff you need if shes planning to upgrade then its better to be a biit ahead now rather then buying anoter pc in a year as programs sizes will grow masively in the next 4 years if optical media is about to be able to store 50gb of data imagine what a normal harddrive will be 2 terabytes

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but whilst stylist99 seems to do some video work, I don't get the impression she'll be filling hundreds of gigs with video and games like we do. My guess is that 200-250GB will be sufficient. The Pentium D is indeed better than the Athlon, but is it really necessary? In single threaded applications, the Athlon is actually faster.

16. dazila

dazila Regular member

well its her choice but i would think about the next 3 years aswell because i dont get a pc every year so i have to think what im getting will it be good enough to give me power in 3 years time

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. I only got myself 290GB of internal storage with this PC though, intending to use external storage. The graphics card's irrelevant in this case as barely any gaming will occur, and the CPU may not even need to be a dual core.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

but i am also saying if movies start going onto blu ray discs what are the processor needs to rip that convert a movie to blu ray format the need migh be 3.0ghz at least who knows from 1996 to 2001 only 5 years and cpus went from 133mhz to 2.0ghz

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And yet another 5 years from 2001 to 2006 CPU speeds have gone from 2.0 to 3.8Ghz, and the best one is only 2.93. Not much is it? Manufacturers are changing tack, it's no longer all about Ghz.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

but still with L2 bus speed everything else upgrading it will be the same story in 2011