1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about my processor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stylist99, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And? Trust me, a 3700+ is fine for most things, if not get the other cheap D940 system. Happy now? LOL I'm off to bed so this argument will have to carry on tomorrow! :D

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

LOL, where do you live its only 10.27am here

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

ok you are back lets start the argument

My pentium 1 will snap a intel core 2 extreme

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is destroying stylist99's thread. Talking complete rubbish is of no use to her whatsoever is it?

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

but i dont see what is where we started 4 days ago we are there now no one agrees with each other so we'll never get anywhere

i say intel pentium d
    u say amd 3700+
    someone else says build your own
    and etc so none of us are helping what i would recommend then to stylist99 is to go out to a store buy one like a hp or acer from a shop and there its the least complicated way and if oyu search you will still find a great deal this way no one is going to get anywhere

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We each have our own recommendations, but as I've said before, the decision ultimately lies with stylist99 herself. If you remember rightly, I said the Pentium D would be better if she'll ever make use of a dual core, if not, the 3700+ is fine.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I lean towards Intel for video work. It has always been a clock speed intensive task. The Pentium D is best for a straight up video machine but the 3700+ would be better if you are just bombing around and also do video on the side.

My opinion... if money is a problem go for the latter build. If you wan't better conversion speed go for the first build.

The Pentium Ds are a bit weaker class-for-class but they still have almost equal performance in everything. The 965 Presler @ 3.78GHz matches closely with the FX-60 and FX-62. I dunno what you really think about it but I think AMD only really has an advantage in Single core. And even then, the single core Pentium M @ 2.13GHz Matches up with the 2.6GHz FX-55 in gaming and some applications.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The core 2 duos will beat AMD's X2s at dual core, but not Pentium Ds. Certain clock-specific tasks Intels can do better at, but mostly the AMDs seem to be the better performers. Plus of course they save on your electricity bill! :D

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If AMD doesn't hold up to snuff with AM3 I'm all for an E6700 or 6600... notice how the X6800's price isn't very proportionate. The 6600 is like $350 or less?

11. dazila

dazila Regular member

well both of you have explained evrything so its all up to stylist99 or her to decide, power saving what power saving my p4 runs with 3.040volts while a amd 64 x2 dont no which model but ive seen one run with 1.510volts i think or 1.050

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I doubt your P4 runs at 3V, or else it'd be up in smoke. I think maybe you should read up a bit more on what you're commenting on before posting. No offense, but P4s run at about 1.5V, and X2s 1.35V. The thermal dissipation of most Pentium Ds is 130W or so, and most X2s are no greater than 100-110W. Plus of course AMDs have CoolnQuiet whereas Intels have speedstep which is nowhere near as effective.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've had my X2 stable up to 1.45 volts... but I can keep my clocks at 1.4 safely.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

yep sorry i was thinking baout a pentium 3 that runs at 3.040volts, i still say the pentium d no arguiing k,thats what i think, i dont know much about cpu's im pretty much outdated with my info the last thing i propely learned about cpu's was when the northwood was released now i focus more on my future which im trying to get a position in the european go karting championships next year so my info isnt always correct

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The Pentium 3's are the oldest CPU I consider to have respectable Home/office performance... Before that it's...*shudder*

My Pentium MMX was SLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWW!

16. dazila

dazila Regular member

Pentium mmx had reonable performance in 93,94,95 but its pretty much junk now.my mmx was reliable thats all i can say they were much more reliable then most of todays cpu's. whats with via technology's they suck they released an 800mhz cpu last year whats with that who would buy it a pentium 3 can beat that easily

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I somehow doubt that'd be put in a traditional PC! Maybe it has other uses?

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Which one the via mmx or pentium 3 if you are talking about the via cpu i saw it at Joyce mayne ( a furniture and aplliannce store in australia) and they are selling it with a set of all other things for pc like printer 2.1 speakers scanner for $800au its a mercury pc by the way

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

800 dollars for that? That's a rip for that sort of power.

20. stylist99

stylist99 Member

thank you guys, newegg.com is finally loading on my computer so i'm going to go check out the links you all have given me.