1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about nec 3520a

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jepsilon, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jepsilon

jepsilon Guest

I recently bought a NEC 3520a and updated it with the firmware that allows over burning of media.

The problem i'm having is that when i'm burning...it starts burning at 6x then jumps to 8x then 10x...but if I open a window, whether it be internet explorer or windows explorer, or a program, the burning slows down all the way to 4x and stays there for the rest of the burning process even if I leave the computer doing nothing other than burning.

This drive sucks. Does anyone why this is happening or how can this be avoided?

I also have a pioneer drive that only burns up to 4x, which doesn't bog down if I run any programs. On the other hand, this nec drive slows down like a punk if i open any program.

Am I missing something?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

16x speed is max for your burner,if you mean by overburning by burning 8x media at 12x or 16x,usually nothing out of the norm. Most of these newer,top quality media like sony and verbatim +8x will easily burn at 12x and 16x on my both my original benqs firmware-right out of the boxes.

Sounds like you are multi-tasking which is usually a big no-no,depending on your pc specs.Since you are trying to burn at a faster speed,your pc is slowing you down.

What are your pc specs?
    What brand and format of media are you using?
    Are your ide-channels set on DMA or PIO?
    How do those nec backups look on your pc and stand alone/s?

3. jepsilon

jepsilon Guest

Windows XP Professional SP2
    P4 2Ghz
    512mb pc2100
    120gb sata

I am using taiyo yuden 4x dvd-r which burn at 12x. These are the best dvd-rs, bar none.

My ide channels are both on DMA, and the transfer mode says Ultra dma.

What do you mean how do they look?, if you mean "do they freeze" or "are they incompatible" then no, they do not freeze nor are they incompatible...it is just the fact that i can't multi-task as i was able to with the pioneer drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2005