1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about notebook Electromagnetic fields

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by glenn04, Aug 30, 2004.

1. glenn04

glenn04 Member

I was wondering, i heard laptops and notebooks, I assume both are the same, if not please correct me. Anyways, I heard they can emit a lot of Electromagnetic fields that can be dangerous if you use your notebook a lot at close range. I was wondering, how do I decrease the fields? Anyway to do this? Grounding it? Anyone can help me please?

IF the answer is "grounding the notebook(since it doesn't have a three prong socket like a desktop harddrive, then how do you do it for a notebook?

I hope someone out there can help me with this, I've been worrying about it for days, help please.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

In the workplace the generators of EMF include computers, cell phones, fax machines, copy machines, fluorescent lights, printers, scanners, telephone (PBX) switching systems, electrical instruments, motors and other electrical devices.

Unfortunately, the entire effect of multiple electromagnetic fields on human physiology is not completely understood. However, it is well known that low-frequency magnetic fields can trigger major biochemical responses critical to the functioning of human cells, which operate by complex electrochemical processes. The consequences of living in our EMF world may not be known for decades. Virtually all research on the serious health effects of man-made EMF has come to the conclusion that the adverse health responses from EMF are from long-term cumulative exposure.

The adverse effects of exposure to EMF appear to arise slowly over a long period of time. For example, it may take 5 to 10 years in the case of leukemia or perhaps 30 to 40 years in the case of Alzheimer's disease for symptoms to develop. The health cases that are coming to light in the 1990s most likely had their origin in the 1980s or before. Damage that is being inflicted today is not even knowable. The EMF problem has been categorized as a new form of pollution as consequential as air and water pollution. It has also been likened to the newly-discovered hazards of asbestos and cigarette smoking. In terms of its cumulative health effects, it's been compared to the slow process of lead poisoning. The EMF problem will grow - and at a compounding rate. Fortunately, public awareness of EMF is also growing.

As you can see we can't really get away from the dangers of electro magnetic fields but wrapping your laptop in lead will help and you must make a three cornered hat out of aluminium foil and wear it when you use your computer.

3. glenn04

glenn04 Member

agent-k, I know about the effects that it can have on humans, that's why I'm so worried, but I wanted to know how I can stop or decrease this?

Does anyone out there know??

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

If you are worried about laptops and notebooks, better stay away from desktops. Desktops produce a whole lot more EMF than a laptop, especially if you use a CRT monitor. Basically any device that uses electicity is going to generate a certain amount of EMF. I have seen such things as fluorescent lights interfere with network wiring that was run too close to them in the ceiling due to EMF. There isn't much way to limit exposing yourself to it unless you want to go live back in a shack in the woods with no electricity or other modern convieniences.

As far as the ground goes, that won't drain off any EMF. A laptop operates on DC current, the brick on your power cord converts the AC to DC when it is plugged in. A ground wire on a three prong socket is simply a safety device. The neutral wire goes back to the same grounded block in an electrical box as the ground wire, the ground wire just ensures it has an alternate path back to ground (instead of through you) if the neutral is ever cut or broken.

5. glenn04

glenn04 Member