1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about some sub speakers

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by frnresq, Jan 15, 2007.

1. frnresq

frnresq Member

I have a pair of 15" Subs ive had from another system that had an amp built in it. I have a Philips surround sound system now, is there any way or anything i can buy to hook up these subs to my surround sound system?

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

If you have the connections in the back and enough watts in your receiver.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@JVC ... thanks for posting that information about stereo subs; I recently set my system up in exactly this fashion and your post had some useful information which helped out a couple of problems.

As you know, I'm a Mirage freak and because of my old speakers, I learnt long ago the advantages of "active" fronts but for reasons which I don't understand, there aren't many companies that make them. When I moved, my speakers were much too large for my living room so I sold them (really gave them) to my nephew. I bought Mirages top of the line sats (small bookshelves really) and paired them with smaller but high quality active subs used in stereo and its just awesome. I have a third for LFE. So thanks for the info; you must be better at searching ... I couldn't find anything when I looked. Strangely, operators manuals tell you that you can use them in stereo but give no further explanation ,,, I guess because not many people use them that way. Anyway, thanks again.

I'll fill you in on my remote Saturday. Its taken me forever to set this stuff up...either family or friends were over during the holidays or my neck and back were acting up and the ol' bones and muscles just weren't up to the task LOL! (I'm sure I'd have found a way though if I'd had nothing to watch or listen to in the first place).

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I didn't have to do much of a search. I've been a member of S&V Forums for almost four yrs., and remembered this subject was a "stickie", in the Audio forum there. S&V is one of the better HT sites, along with The Lounge, where you signed up........ :eek:)

I don't have stereo subs. Besides not being able to afford another sub, my room isn't really big enough for it. The only place I'd have to sit another sub, would be in the seat beside me, on the couch. I need an HD tv more than anything else, right now. I'm hoping to get a 61" JVC HD-ILA, or 60" Sony SXRD, before I die...........

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  7. JVC

JVC Active member

I'll be more than happy to get one, if someone will give me the money! I've been out of work since last April. Can't work anymore, because of my back. Have applied for disability, but still waiting to hear from them. If I get disability, there won't be enough to buy a tv.
    (If every member of aD, would send $1, I could get one! j/k) :eek:)

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I think much depends on what sort of speakers one uses in the front. I got rid of my old speakers which were just too damned big for my new place; they were large active Mirage towers. I bought Mirage Omnisat v.2s all the way around using them with my Klip 12" Synergy and while awesome for movies, I was disappointed for music....oh, the sound was awesome but wierd in that, say someone was playing a cello or viola ... the lower mid range would come through the speakers but all of a sudden it would be coming out of the sub because of the frequency cut off points... like the guy got up and moved LOL! I bought two mirage subs for the mains and reset to large and damn what a sound! I use the klip for the LFE. Even better than my original ones I gave to my nephew! YOu can't put them too far from the sats but you can still tuck them away. Made a lot of room for myself and sounds better than my old ones.

@JVC...finally got the harmony remote set up and its awesome! Its so nice not to fiddle with a half dozen remotes. The Dennon and Oppo remotes really sucked...great units with really nasty remotes, go figure! My up close vision really sucks so I'll have to get the glasses until I'm use to it but shouldn't take too long.

9. JVC

JVC Active member

I thought you'd like it, once you set it up.......... :eek:)