1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Taiyo Yuden CDR compatibility with certain drives

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by pjcarr, Nov 9, 2007.

1. pjcarr

pjcarr Member

My Sony CRX-320 drive has always had a problem recognizing the newer (in the last 2 years) batches of TY CDs. Sometimes I have to try 4 or 5 times before it will finalize recognize it, but once it does, it's fine. It has no problem with the older TY (gold CDR-74ZY) discs.

My question is this: If a drive has a problem recognizing TY CDRs, does that mean that it won't do a good job burning them? When I put in a blank TY, it always burns and verifies with no problem, but when I put it back in after the burn, it doesn't recognize it, or it takes a LONG time to recognize it. By the way, these CDRs play fine in all of my other units.

What is it on the disc that the drive needs to see in order to recognize it, because it seems that once it gets past that "hurdle," everything is fine!

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Taiyo Yuden is the best on the market, I would try a firmware update and see if that helps also keep you're burn speed down. I burn CDs at 16x. so go 16x ,24x or no faster than 32x and see if that helps.

how old is the drive? that could be the problem also

here the firmware page

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

3. pjcarr

pjcarr Member

There is no firmware update for my drive. I always burn at 12x, but I don't think that's the issue because it doesn't recognize TYs from other people's burners either.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

i would try burning the TYs on a different drive/burner (maybe a friends etc) and see if you have the same problem.new drives are very inexpensive nowadays if you have to replace it. some drives match up with certain media better than others maybe the Sony doesn't match up with the TY media very well

Maxell and Sony are both good brands of CD-Rs so give them a shot and see if you have the same problem

5. pjcarr

pjcarr Member

It's the same thing with TYs burned on other drives. By the way, it is ONLY TYs that give me a problem, so it's probably a compability issue, not a burning issue.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah you're probably right give the Maxell or Sony blank meida a shot next time you need blanks

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member