1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the Sony KDL32V2500U

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Zenon003, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Hello

I bought a Sony KDL32V2500U LCD 32" TV and I have a question about the colour black on this set. When I watch DVDs the colour black becomes a cloudy, not jet, black and you can really notice it. I have tried different picture settings and I can't get it to be completely black in dark areas. I have heard about this somewhere. Anyone know if there is a way to get the black showing without it being cloudy? Or am I just too fusy. Many thanks for any info.

2. error5

error5 Regular member

I think your HDTV could do with a bit of calibration. When you first get your set they usually come with factory settings that make them "look good" in a brightly lit store or display area. These settings are usually not ideal for home viewing.

If you have a DVD player I recommend the PAL version of Digital Video Essentials. (You're from the UK right?)

http://www.dvdinternational.com/pd_digital_video.cfm

This DVD takes you through all the needed adjustments you need to make to get the most out of your display. I would pay close attention to the section where you have to adjust the so-called "Black Levels."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thank you very much error5. I will give it a go and post back. I am from the UK. Will post back soon..

4. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thanks error5 I didn't go with that, didn't want to buy it. I have found on another forum how to make the black colour jet black. Here are the settings for anyone else out there who has a similar problem with the black colour.

Picture Mode - Custom
    Power Saving - Low
    Backlight - 1
    Light Sensor - On
    Contrast - 100
    Brightness - 50
    Colour - 45
    Colour Temp - Neutral
    Wide Colour - Low
    Noise Reduction - Low
    Black Correction - Low
    Gamma - Off
    White - Low
    Mpeg Noise Reduction - Low
    Sharpness - 15

After I done the above it really looks superb. I'd be interested in any feedback.

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

6. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Thanks eatsushi there was some good info on there. I have toned down the contrast and the picture is perfect. I have now got the black colour to look jet black without the cloudy effect. The settings above made my picture alot better and I just toned down some of the settings to get the best possible picture.