1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about TMPGEnc and simalir programs.

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 007JUK, Feb 4, 2004.

1. 007JUK

007JUK Member

Was attempting to convert a Divx file to SVCD using the above program. Is it worth my while, if I don't have a DVD writer. Using my standard cd writer the program prompts me and let's me know that the conversion will be to big to burn to disc.

Many thanks

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

That depends. How bad do you want to watch the movie on your DVD player? You are looking at several hours of conversion time that will spread your movie over 2-3 discs because you can only fit around 45 minutes of good quality video on a single SVCD. If you decide to pursue the project, TMPGEnc is an excellent tool to perform the conversion.

3. 007JUK

007JUK Member

Teegee420,

How do you fit the data on to 2-3 discs?

Thanks

4. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

Use dvd2svcd. Get it at dvd2svcd.org

You have to use it with an encoder so make sure TMPGEnc is already installed. Dvd2svcd will create the appropriate number of discs for you but you have to set it up first. Once you have it installed go to the Encoder tab and browse for "TMPGEnc.exe". Then go to the Misc tab and select AVI as input file. Finally, go to the Conversion tab and select your AVI, hit convert and off you go.

Dvd2svcd will create disc images that you can burn with Nero by going to the file menu and selecting "burn image", then select the first .cue file that dvd2svcd created, hit burn and do the same for the other disc image(s) you have.

One thing you should know about TMPGEnc is that it doesn't like avi's with variable bitrate mp3 audio. Check your avi by opening it with Virtualdub. It will give you an error right away if it does indeed have VBR audio.