1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about unlocking an iPhone 3G with ultrasn0w

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by BTown, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BTown

BTown Member

I have an iPhone 3G with firmware 3.1.2 and baseband 5.13.04. It's jailbroken and I'm trying to unlock it (so I can sell it as being unlocked) using ultrasn0w.

I installed ultrasn0w 1.2.3 and it seemed to install properly. However, at the end of the installation process, it prompted me to "reload springboard." When I clicked to reload, it froze on a black screen with the circular loading icon (the one that appears when data is loading) and it stayed on that for about 20 minutes.

Finally, I did a hard shut down, turned the phone back on and reinstalled ultrasn0w, and the same thing happened.

After that I removed ultrasn0w and began the installation process from the beginning. Again, everything installs and at the end of the installation it prompts me to reload springboard. Instead of pressing the button to reload, I just hit the home button and restarted my phone manually. Everything booted back up just fine.

My question is - do you think the process worked and the phone is unlocked?

I assume the only way to know for sure is to put another SIM card in and see if it takes, but that's the problem. Everyone I know is on AT&T or Verizon.

The installation seemed to go through just fine, it's just when it freezes at the end when prompted to reload springboard that has me concerned. I want to sell my phone as unlocked, but I don't want to advertise it as unlocked if it really isn't.

What do you think?

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

there's not much point in selling a phone as unlocked unless it is a proper unlock. what if the person buys it and updates the firmware. If you sell it locked, there'll be no repercussions from unhappy buyers..