1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about upconverting receiver and older TV

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by ashasmash, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ashasmash

ashasmash Member

Hi, I just bought a sony STR-DH810. It supposedly upconverts and passes through. I have a POS Norcent TV that maxes at 720i. When I plug my sources into the receiver and then a single HDMI to the TV, I get nothing whatsoever. I have changed cables several times and tried with multiple sources.

Is it possible that the TV just can't figure out what to do with the 1080 single and is returning nothing? Or should I be looking for a different problem?

Thanks for any help.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

what is a max 720i tv supposed to do with 1080p?? of course it won't display it.

3. ashasmash

ashasmash Member

Ok, so I found the setting in the receiver to change the output to the same as the television. Still no picture, no audio from TV.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

With a surround system, the only purpose of the tv is for video. So, there should be no sound from tv. To get sound from tv programs, connect cable/sat box to receiver for audio. If you're using an antenna for programs, connect audio out from tv to receiver (probably an optical output).

Did you assign the inputs you used in the receiver, to what you plugged into them? If they aren't factory assigned, you have to do it. The manual will tell you how.

If you're using a cable/sat box, go into the settings for the box, and set the audio output to Dolby Digital. You may have to set the video output to component or HDMI, whichever you're using from box to receiver for video. If you're using a yellow composite cable for video, you're not going to get an HD picture, even though the receiver may upconvert. Also, you realize that when you want to watch sat or digital cable tv, you use the CBL/SAT button on the remote, instead of the TV button (also that input on the receiver, instead of TV input).

You also have to make sure the TV is on the right input. On the TV's remote, push the "Input" button, maybe 2-3 times, until it's on the right input (the one the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV is plugged into).
    Good luck!