1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by PooStain, Jan 14, 2007.

1. PooStain

PooStain Member

I read online about Vista being set up to prevent people from downloading the OS. I'm going to buy a laptop preloaded with Vista so I wouldn't have to worry about that right? How about programs like Microsoft Office where I download and third-party programs like Nero and stuff? Do they actually block that too because if they do, many people wouldn't use it?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

3. PooStain

PooStain Member

If I bought a laptop preloaded with Vista, I could just reformat with the XP Pro SP2 CD and get rid of Vista right?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Nope.
    You'd need to buy an XP cd with a new license, because otherwise your newly installed version of XP would start nagging about not being "genuine" and whatnot.
    Bottom Line, tell them to take Vista and stick it, and demand a laptop with XP.

5. bkf

bkf Guest

Not to mention that most laptops use modified OS discs with many of their own build in drivers. Would be interesting though.

6. zeiram

zeiram Guest

vista also has a few issues with most modems.Unless you have a netgear, you have buckleys of getting on the net any time soon.I have tried the beta version and couldnt even get on......

7. PooStain

PooStain Member

Damn... I guess I gotta go out and buy an XP laptop before it is too late.

8. PooStain

PooStain Member

Hmmm, my XP cd now doesn't ask me to activate and doesn't say anything about not being genuine (it isn't though) so wouldn't my XP installed over the Vista not ask me to activate because the XP completely wipes out the traces of the Vista and its activation thing? Or does the need for activation for Vista still stay there when I reformat to XP?

9. bkf

bkf Guest

I think you should get the Vista laptop then you can tell us what works and what stops working. Kind of like a beta tester for AD. :)

10. Z_A_X

Z_A_X Regular member

what i would try to do is just reformat the HD and re partition it for Win XP, IDk thats what i would do...