1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question as to how to burn 5 converted dvd files (from avi files) to 1 DVD disc only

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by harvtiu, Jun 12, 2007.

1. harvtiu

harvtiu Member

pls help...
    i have converted 5 avi files to dvd format, but i want to burn everyrthing into 1 dvd disc only. can you guys help me as to how i can do this? by the way i converted each avi file seperately.... thanks

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Author them into a DVD with 5 movies; free applications (IFOEdit and ReJig) I know are single-movie only, but DVD Lab can do it.
    You can also insert sort-of start menu to select the movies.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Another way is use the 'Re-author' feature of DVD Shrink.
    Run Shrink, click re-author.
    On the right side of the panel you can browse to the first DVD folder and open the video.
    Drag 'title 1' from right to left panel.
    Browse to subsequent folders and repeat.
    Click 'Backup' and your five videos will combined into one movie.

DVD Shrink
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, but I thought DVD Shrink needed many already-authored DVDs, that is five sets like this:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB

not a MPG (or a M2V + a DVD audio file [MP2 or AC3]).

This, assuming any pre-authored DVD movie was < 1 GB, otherwise you have many VTS_01_#.VOB.

Am I wrong?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  5. attar

attar Senior member

@aldaco12

As you have noted, the DVD folder must follow this convention or DVD Shrink will not open it, that being said,in 'Re-author' mode, Shrink will import only the main movie, ignoring menus, extras, etc.
    It's handy for doing basic editing and stringing together segments from many DVD's.
    As to the size of the DVD, harvtiu didn't mention the running time of the DVD's.
    I would be happy enough with five, thirty minute DVD's on one disk, but quality is in the eye of the beholder and five full length movies squeezed on one disk would be overkill and I must note that I would have converted the five episodes at the same time with the likes of Nero if I wanted a Menu or vsoDivxToDVD.

6. harvtiu

harvtiu Member

3 of the 5 avi files is about 40 mins each and the other two is about an hour and 15 mins each. i will try using dvd shrink first. thanks

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Therefore: you must input 5 DVD, not 5 AVI or 3 MPG. The procedure is:

1) transform any AVI into DVD movies;
    2) author any DVD movie into a DVD (VOB, BUP and IFO stuff using, for instance, IFOEdit);
    3) re-author the 5 DVD in a DVD with DVD Lab, which joins + recompresses them.

An alternative for (2+3) is using DVDLab which accepts multiple movies, but unless you choose the single DVD bitrates correclty, you'll have to use DVD Shrink to compress the set to 4.3 Gb.

8. barlaa

barlaa Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  9. attar

attar Senior member

@aldaco12

harvtiu converted them to DVD in the first post, so bringing them into DVD Shrink is quite simple.

10. xiangjie

xiangjie Guest

harvtiu, I recommend you winavi video converter. It can do such a job without reauthoring. (btw, winavi is a shareware, so there will be a watermark on producted files if we use the trial version.)

11. harvtiu

harvtiu Member

thanks i tried using winavi converter, but it didn't help me any. the first time that i use it i can't even burn it using imageburn because its states thtat it's not convertes into an iso file

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

WinAVI would be at the bottom of my list.

13. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

this is pretty easy with tmpgenc Xpress. you just convert the 5 avis into m2v but make sure each one is 1/5 the size of a dvd. (4.7 gigs / 5) it even has a sliding scale so you know exactly how big it will be before you hit "encode" and it prevents the need to do all that math in your head.

i would also sugest looking into the "kvcd notch matrix" and how to make "kdvds" as they will get greater quality packed into the same size. easily doable with xpress but youll loose the ability to use the file size pre-determiner thingy. i hate doing the math soooo muuuch. bits, bytes, kilos, megas, its so easy to miscalculate and it still never comes out how big you thought it would because of the encoding process.