1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for all Onkyo TX-SR605 owners.

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by airball, Aug 29, 2007.

1. airball

airball Regular member

I am a custom installer in the Atlanta Georgia area and I recently installed a 605 for a customer. My question is what is you average listening volume? My concern is a lack of power. While listening to a CD (2 channel) we had the volume at around 75 and it was not that loud. The 605 only goes up to 100 so I was concerned that we were using 75% of the receivers to total power on only 2 speakers. I would have thought at that volume it would have been over-powering. The receiver is going to be powering a 7.1 system of Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers. Any thoughts?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Not an Onkyo owner, but maybe the settings for the speaker levels needs to be set higher, to start with?
    Set the volume of the first speaker higher, and adjust the other speakers accordingly....................

As I said, I'm not an Onkyo owner, so not familiar with their setup differences. But all A/V receivers are similar in setup, to a degree. I know that with some Sony receivers, you can't adjust the levels of the two front speakers, so you have to adjust the others, to be right with those. I'm not a custom installer, but I do make a little money on the side by helping people setup their stuff, to act and sound right, and have run into a couple of those Sonys before. Is the Onkyo like that?
    Good luck!