1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for DRD...

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by stolen009, Oct 23, 2002.

1. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

I hope you read this... I was reading this post http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/852 and if I read it right, you can play VOB files with a normal home DVD player if you have the IFO file.... Now I am total newbie, but if you can rip a DVD to VOB, using basic software, then burn it to a DVD, that will work in a home player, then why would you need to do all that other stuff ?

Im sure your laughing, saying what a dumb question, but wouldnt that be an easier way to back up DVDs, or am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You're missing kinda lot, since VOBs are controlled by IFOs and IFOs need to be created based on VOBs information -- IFOs are the controlling files that tell player how and where to play the clips. So, IFOEdit is by far the best way to split the VOBs and maintain original IFO structure (and to split it accordingly over two discs). Also VOBs contain much, much more data than just the movie.

3. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

Thanks for the reply

Okay...

But Copying IFOS and VOBS sounds alot easier than the articles I followed on how to make an VCD. Is there a article on this ? (using VOBS and IFOS) It still sounds alot easier than DIVX or anything else. To me this sounds like the way to backup DVDS.

If there isnt an article, could you tell me the real skinny on how this works ?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2002
  4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You need to have a DVD writer and the process is about 100x harder than making VCDs or DivXs. There are hundreds of discussion threads in our DVD-R forum related to this.