1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for you experienced PCers (two computers/one operating system?)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bennyb815, Nov 26, 2007.

1. bennyb815

bennyb815 Member

Ok, so having inherited a 7 year old computer w/ windows xp installed on it, I want to (if possible) hook that up to my current computer simply for use of the drives. I only want to use this older computer for storage space, as it has alot of memory but is not very fast. Similar to a hard-drive. Is "networking" the two pcs the answer? Any hints or pointing in the right direction to a FAQ would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Or you could just take out the hard drives, and put them in the pc you will be using...

3. bennyb815

bennyb815 Member

I would do that (not myself since it requires know-how) BUT pretty sure there's no space left in the current tower I'm using.

4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

use a 'crossover' ethernet cable

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does the PC have an ethernet port in it? If so you could cable the PCs together. Simply share the PC's data using windows file sharing and you can use it as a networked hard drive (Just be advised that this is neither an efficient, or cost-effective way of using the PC's storage space. A far better solution would be to remove the hard drive from the old PC and put it in an external enclosure. A really easy and simple method, and it doesn't require the whole PC to be on all the time)

6. NJman

NJman Member

an even quicker way then usings a ethernet cable to file share is to take out the HDD's and put them or it in a external case turning it into a external drive. if you dont have a friend that can do it, go to a best buy or mom and pop computer store and buy the external case and have them put it together for you. I know bestbuy will charge you 40 to install the HDD into an external case you just gotta buy the case.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now hold on, something about the content of that post seems familiar... :)