1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on blogs (ie. xanga) and snagging IP's from them

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by Artos, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Artos

Artos Guest

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to snag someone's IP address via their username or posts, from a site like xanga. My sister has been having some troubles with some folks on there and wants to find out their IP's. I would assume so she can block them right from the get-go with the IP, so they can't just pop up with a different username or something. I'm not sure how, so I'm posing the question here to see if anyone happens to know. Of course, if this type of thing isn't quite legal, please let me know so I can pass that on as well. My thanks in this matter.

2. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Has your sister reported these problem to the xanga (or other) site Moderators? That would be the best place to start.

Are these issues via the forums? Or are they attacking your sisters PC directly? If so a simple firewall software solution like ZoneAlarm (that you really should have already)will block individual IP addresses or ranges. But if they are determined IP addresses can be changed. But you could change your sisters too.

[bold]NOTE:[/bold]
    Not a great idea to go all vigilante just because someone upset you. Online actions are not easily retracted and can have harsh consequences. Consider your next steps carefully.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

not to mention that if you do more than just block their IP's like trying to do anything to their machine, they'll also have your IP. Then the real fun begins :)

4. Artos

Artos Guest

I would hope she wouldn't be foolish enough to go that far. I'll pass on the info, just in case she hasn't gone to xanga mods yet. thanks.