1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question on Plextor ConvertX PXM402U

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by alcoa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. alcoa

alcoa Member

Hi, thanks for the info. I actually gave up on the ULEAD. Really pleased with the dvd lab and go cap combo.

2. dworth1

dworth1 Member

Hello pfh,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you. Been real busy at work. I did not get the Plextor unit working. Tried everything. I contacted Plextor Dirk (he is one helpful guy!) on DivX forum and Tech Support (these guys could've been a little more helpful) from Plextor. Decided this was a hardware problem with M402 (very rare to have a hardware problem with these devices they tell me) and I am going to return it. My Canopus device and EDIUS work fine for the time being.

Regards,
    David

3. pfh

pfh Guest

alcoa- That sucks about Ulead but like you, I use GoCap and Dvd Lab too, pretty much exclusively. Did you uninstall Intervideo dvd creator? The reason I ask because GoCap is programmed to use Intervideo decoder but i wonder if the same applies to Ulead. That is, if you don't have Intervideo installed will GoCap default to using the better Mainconcept encoder of Ulead? Hmmm...think I'll ask Plextor Dirk at Divx.com. Still waiting for new release of GoCap but as usual the expected release date has come and gone.

Dworth- at least you have a very good capture device to continue transfering with. Yes, it's nice to know that there are still company reps. that care and try to help as in Plextor Dirk. Bad news is, the convertX does not work! Afterdawn has some pros that are quite familiar with Canopus pruducts so feel safe in getting help. I've also been helped by the pros at www.videohelp.com - good advice like here.

Keep me posted and happy capping! My dvd collection is growing!

4. alcoa

alcoa Member

Pfh, I never did uninstall DVD Creator but that is an interesting point I will give it a shot and let you know.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  5. alcoa

alcoa Member

Well, I uninstalled DVD creator and Ulead works alot better. Strange that they conflict like that. Anyhow, came across something interesting. I have an old dvd of my wedding that was done utilizing an Mpeg 1 image and obviously the quality isnt that great. I used my DVD player to feed the Plextor and recorded the dvd in Mpeg 2 format with GOCap. The result? A definate improvement in image quality!! I do have a question though. How can I go about adding chapters and editing frames? Any time I attempt to open the Mpeg 2 image in DVDLab or Ulead it does not "expand" the video into a workable state. I cannot do any kind of timeline, I am assuming this is becuase the video doesnt have any existing chapter points?

On a sidenote, is there any advantage to copying using divx format with GoCap? And if so, will the disc play in "any" dvd player?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  6. pfh

pfh Guest

There are times when too many codecs on a person's computer can cause conflicts and I would think Plextor would inform it's users.
    At least you've got Ulead working better now- cool.

As far as chapters- you can create customized chapter points with Dvd Lab but if you need to edit out some stuff 1st try Womble mpeg2vcr. 30 day free trial so it won't cost you nothing to fix this one video. I've never done any cutting in Dvd Lab even though it supposed to support this. No timeline- you are right- no chapter points= no timeline.

Divx encodes can be useful for those situations requiring lots of compression, however, most stand-alone dvd players can't play 'em. Computers, handhelds, etc. with the proper codecs/players can handle them ok. So there are limitations with the divx format that can play into your decision to use it.

7. dworth1

dworth1 Member

Howdy fellas,
    pfh thanks for the update on threads for the Canopus device. I'll search around for the forums. Too bad Al is having problems. pfh I have had problems with too many codecs and the only cure I could find is to reload Win XP. Pain but worked. You are correct that GoCap won't work without DVD Creator. Not sure about new release. Ulead videostudio 8 does not need DVD Creator it has all encoders internal and all are selectable through videostudio. I am slowly getting used to videostudio 8 and it seems to work ok. My ADVC - 100 is working just fine and dandy. It is a good device. I purchased it on ebay a year ago. I use Canopus EDIUS and Canopus Procoder to edit and encode. Expensive software let me tell you. It works everytime and is flawless. I returned the Plextor unit and I am going to purchase another one shortly. Plextor Dirk is certainly a great man to do business with. Plextor is very lucky to have a guy like that.

Regards,
    David

8. pfh

pfh Guest

Hey dworth? What's happening?
    Yeah, the Canopus devices are good ones. If you get a ConvertX to work, you can have the best of both worlds. I'm gonna purchase an ATI theater card (550 chip) and play with it - see what it can do. Sounds like Alcoa got his problems sorted out and is doing well. I also plan on installing Ulead VS 8 from Plextor and get rid of Intervideo junk like alcoa did in order to try the Mainconcept encoder. I also agree with you regarding Plextor Dirk, too bad Plextor can't release new updates sooner though.

My life has been really busy lately so I haven't done very many new capture/transfers. I found a deal on TY's 4x @ Meritline.com- $28.00 for a stack of 100. Not bad eventhough they are only 4x, I don't burn faster than 4x anyways.

I chat at you later..................cheers................Paul