1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on quality burns..

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by h00tsman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. h00tsman

h00tsman Guest

Hi,
    This is probably the damning Q...

Im trying to burn a dvd, in the past they have been fairly good, but recently ive noticed the odd jumps whilst watching the films.
    Now, ive tried different burning engines and disk types and burners.

But the results are the same; the odd skip now and then, in different point of the film (random).

Ive watch the film on the pc direct from the folder.

What determines this and why wont they just be good copies like always?

Cheers

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Someting must have changed..?..but....

There are 4 things that will typically cause this:
    1)poor quality media
    2)burning too fast
    3)burning too close to the disk's outer edge
    4)A possible incompatibility issue between the media you're using and the DVD player

so, try...
    1)Try using media considered to be good quality stuff, I personally use Sony's DVD+Rs (make sure it states on the package, made in Japan), you could also try verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

2) Slow down the write/burn speed to 4x (this is what's considered to be the sweet spot).

3)Have DVD shrink create smaller file sizes of 4300MB so as not to burn too close to the disk's outer edge. Run shrink and goto:edit-->preferences, in the preferences tab choose custom from the dropdown menu and enter a value of 4300.
    [image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/binkie7/shrinktargetsize.jpg[/image]

4)Make sure your stand alone player can play the media you're using, so read the manual to see what is recommended and what is not allowed.

If having alot of playback issues, you could buy an upto date player that will play every format available (they're cheap today) or you could booktype DVD+R media as DVD-ROMs to increase compatibility if the burner supports it.

check it out here;
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

Last, make sure your burners firmware is up to date, the updates add additional media support which will help the burner write to the media correctly.

You can get an update here if one is available:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_search.php

You can also use DVD Decrypter to do this for you, here's a guide:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=57993

Give these things a shot and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  3. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

hoot
    i read a thread about ripping all to hd before burn verses coping from discs. ripping to hd first seems to have less flaws in play back
    i useto copy with shrink then burn but some seem to skip,pause,ect
    have not had a concern since using dvd fab for ripping to hd then burning.

4. h00tsman

h00tsman Guest

Thanks very much mate for all the info..

Can you get printable sony disks?

5. h00tsman

h00tsman Guest

i was using fab, again that was one of teh programs creating the issue i had, but previously its been great.

When ripping with fab, doesnt it do it to hd, then straight to disk?..

Also off topic this, i just read above a link to dvd decrypter, ...should i be using + media?, because i currently use -....

Cheers

6. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

yes it does put to hd if you have freeware one. my brother has the pay vs goes directly to dvd
    i use dvd+r. i am not up on all the differnet uses and types