1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*QUESTION ON TV TUNER LEADTEK WINFAST??

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by xxnonamex, Nov 16, 2003.

1. npenel

npenel Member

I try again, as my problem seems to be more precise. My Winfast TV 2000XP Expert works fine in viewing TV programm. But as soon as i record the recorded sound is very bad (like a background sound). I try to upgrade to the latest driver (5.13.1.3300). I noticed i have only 3 VDM WINFAST TV drivers installed instead of 4 as the upgrade notice mentionned (The VDM audio capture driver is missing). Is it the cause ?
    I try to upgrade my video card (Part of my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe), but no differences ?

Have you any suggestion of what can i do , please ?
    (I try to mail to Leadtek in tawain, but the email address on their site is wrong. In holland no reply => 0% for the service)

2. bobbych

bobbych Member

i have exact saem problem, except my sound is not that good anytime, but from what i gather, is i a common problem with the sound proccessor on the card, and cannot be solved via software

3. npenel

npenel Member

You are maybe right, but when i don't record the sound is very good. So if it was the sound processor i wouldn't have any good sound (as it seem to be the case for you).

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Because Playback is Good doesn"t mean that Recording will be good , When Recording there Can be Compression of the Audio signal and Sample Rate Conversion which can reduce the Audio Quality,If you are captureing to a Compressed audio format then use the Highest Bitrate you can and some sound cards don"t produce very good Quality when Recording at 48000hz so recording to a Lower Sample rate Like 44100hz would Produce better quality But for DVD you need 48000hz so you should get a Good Quality Audio Editor to Convert the Sample Rate from 44100hz to 48000hz...I save a Simple Sound Blaster Sound Card and when I capture to Mpeg2 useing WinDVR 3.0 I either Choose LPCM as the audio format or Dolby Digital AC3 and the audio Quality is Fairly good Probably because LPCM Is uncompressed audio so there is no quality loss through Compression and with Dolby digital it is a Very High quality Compression Format so the Quality is Usually Quite good ,It is a Much better format than Mpeg1 Layer 2 format that Most Mpeg capture programs capture to......Cheers

5. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion,

I tried using the WinDVR with DVD NTSC settings to capture video from Laser Disc but the audio seems to have a bit of 'split sec' jerky noise every 2 - 3 mins. The noice is pretty obvious to me because I'm doing backup of some music video. Kindly advise what can be the possible caused. In my Leadtek PVR software, there is options like 'close captioning' and 'overlaying' and I do not really know what are they meant for.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I really Couldn"t tell you what the Problem is ..I don"t have any Audio sort of Problems with WinDVR or any Software ,Then again Bad audio seems to be a recurring Theme in this Thread when useing the WinFast TV Tuner......

7. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello guys,

After all the trial and error for 2 weeks, I finally come to a conclusion that the Leadtek WinFast TV2000XP Expert is having conflict with my new Abit NF7 motherboard which having Nvidia nForce Chipset, addition to that it also clashes with my Nvidia FX5600 Ultra VIVO Graphic Card too. The TV Tuner was working fine on my old Compaq Presario P1.8Ghz and only started to go bonkers after switching over to my new system plus causing my Nvidia drivers to go crazy too.

Well, after taking out the TV Tuner and removing the PVR software, my new system seems to be back to normal again. Probably is time for me to move on to a Compro VideoMate Gold Plus TV Tuner and check if they are compatible. A review of the Compro VideoMate Gold Plus here http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/compro-gold-plus/ and kindly help with your comments whether is it a good buy.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, I believe that Card uses a 9 Bit Decoder which is better than the BT878A One that I believe comes with the Leadtech, but you can still do better as they have 10bit decoders that will produce even better quality...TV Cards Like the "MSI TV@nywere" and the "PixelView Play TV PVR" use a 10 Bit decoder which would give you quite a Bit better quality...Cheers

9. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello,

I bought the Compro VideoMate Gold Plus today and all I can say is it is not as fantastic even with all those filters and noise reduction stuff. My Leadtek TV2000XP Expert (10 bit decoder) is as good and only half the price of the Compro. The conflicting issue still persist even with the Compro and I'm returning it tomorrow for a refund.

I realised that the problem is due to having same IRQ with my Ultra Graphic Card and now I have to put it to another PCI slot which will be having the same IRQ with my SATA Raid instead. Due to the odd shape of the TV Tuner, it is unable to fit into the other 3 empty PCI slots. I notice that I have IRQ 15,16 & 17 which are not taken up by anything and I was thinking that if I could manually change the Leadtek TV Tuner's IRQ to the unoccupied ones without switching the PCI Slot?

Can anyone help me on how to change the IRQ manually without switching the PCI slots?

10. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello Minion, After changing the IRQ of my TV Tuner, it seems like everything is functioning alright so far with no more 'split sec' jerky noise anymore. I tried capturing Laser Disc with the PVR settings at DVD NTSC and the recorded Mpeg2 is alright. The video/audio goes out of synchronization after trimming and create DVD files with TMPGEnc DVD Author or Ulead DVD Movie Factory. I tried viewing back the original Mpeg2 but everything is alright......

Kindly, advise what can be wrong and how should I improve that?

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It wouldn"t be the authoring that Makes it go out of sync But probably the Trimming that is Doing it...You should get a Frame accurate Mpeg editor..When useing Tmpgenc to edit it will allways Make the Cut on an I Frame But if you set it to Cut on a Non I Frame it will Cut the Audio there but it will Jump to the Closest I Frame in the Video there for causeing Sync Problems...The editor I use is Mpeg2VCR which works great for this type of stuff...

12. rayhay

rayhay Member

Can someone lend some advice. I capture 2hrs of 8mm using pvr with dvd ntsc presets and all works fine. I use tmpgenc dvd to author a dvd and the file is too large for a disc. So I author it to my hard drive. Then I use dvdshrinks to shrink it to disc size. Burns fine. I then play the burned dvd and the sound is out of sync. I went back to my original captured file and the sound is fine. How do I prevent out of sync problems from the authoring process. Thanks.

13. barggio

barggio Guest

hi guys,
    I just installed winfast 2000 XP deluxe card. It was working great for a while. Then i don't know what i did, but everytime i record the tv, the video has purple shade film overlay on top of the video playback. Please help!

thanks

14. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion,

I've got hold of the Mpeg2VCR already and looks like there are 41 pages of pdf manual to read. I was wondering that what you mean is that I will do the trimming with Mpeg2VCR and the video and audio will trim together without synchro problem like TMPGEnc Plus or do I need to do some special settings?

Hey guys, have anyone try the S3/hibernate function yet? I changed my Abit NF7-S power management settings to S3 and wakeup by PME# PCI, after scheduling the TV recording, I put PC to Standby mode which is kind of different from before (fans stop and more like hibernate) but when it wakes up for recording, a very loud alarm trigerred and it sounds like coming from my Harddisk. The only way to stop the alarm is to restart the PC again. Can anyone advise me on what did I do wrong?

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well You don"t really need to read a 42 page manual to learn how to use Mpeg2VCR...It is a Pretty Basic Editor and you can figure out how to Trim and Join files together in Probably a half hour and yes it can join your Files together and Trim them without sync Problems unless the Sync Problem is allready there, it also has a Feature were you Can advance the Audio or Video so you can try to fix Sync Problems and also has a Feature that can Fix errors in Mpeg files...If there is something specific you want me to explain then let me know.....Cheers

PS: That Alarm sound I believe is comeing from your Motherboard which Either has a Small Speaker Built on to it or has a Connection going to your Case Speaker, Why don"t you Just undo what you did in the Bios Power Management setup? Cheers

16. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo guys, I've downloaded the latest Leadtek WinFast TV2000XP Expert drivers and they are GREAT! A must have if you want to set PC to hibernate (S3) mode and will wake up to do TV recording and hibernates again after that. Finally everything is alright and fully functioning for me now. Superb MAN!

17. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello Minion,
    I tird using the Mpeg2VCR for trimming of commercials for recorded TV programme in Mpeg2 but I still end up having video/audio synchronization problem. Just to confirm, what I need to do is click on new and select mpeg2 that I am going to trim and start marking in and out than cut right? After cutting all the commercials from the original Mpeg2, I will just click on save and that should be it right? Well I tird doing playback on the newly edited mpeg2 in PowerDVD and the synchron goes out after the 1st trim but the original recorded mpeg2 was fine. Is there anything that I forgot to select in Mpeg2VCR?

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I don"t know why it would do that unless it was allready out of Sync before editing...With Some Mpeg Capture programs and with Most Satalite Cards when they are captureing and they Drop Video or audio Frames they will fill in the Missing Frame with Empty Data so that it keeps Sync but when the File is edited and Remuxed the Empty Data gets removed and the file looses sync....Well if you Loose Sync When useing Mpeg2VCR then there is no editor that will be able to edit the file without it looseing sync as Mpeg2VCR is Probably one of the Best Frame accurate Mpeg editors available...Maybe Try a Different Capture Program??? Well good luck

19. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion, While I'm waiting for a reply from Leadtek support, I tried doing trimming with DVD Shrink's re-author function and it works. I am able to trim off the commercials without video/audio sunchronization out. Strange....

20. avoidz

avoidz Member

I just upgraded to the Expert card from the Deluxe, and so far I'm just pleased, not entirely happy.

Yeah, the PVR software isn't that great. Functionally it's solid, but the interface is too playskool and unprofessional. The drivers are the biggest problem. With the newest drivers, my image quality is quite rough, and third party apps have terrible TV pictures (WinDVR 3.0 support is broken with the latest drivers, too).

I'm now using the Sep 2003 drivers, which seem to work well. WinDVR works again, though the stereo sound doesn't work.

Once the drivers are fixed up and tested properly (by Leadtek, NOT the unsuspecting public), I would definitely recommend the Expert card.