1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re laptop's DVD-rom not playing DVD-R's or DVD-RW's

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by 4kaz, May 18, 2004.

1. 4kaz

4kaz Member

I have an older laptop...it is a Fujitsu Lifebook E342 with the Fujitsu DVD-ROM kit added (PN #FPCDVD04), including the Margi DVD-to-Go™ PCMCIA card. This drive will recognize any and all commercial CD's & DVD's, it will play all burned CD-R & CD-RW's, and it will play, without problem, burned VCD's...but, when I put in an copy of a DVD-R or DVD-RW (that I made for archival purposes), it does nothing! When I try to access the drive through 'My Computer', it says 'please enter disk' (in other words, it does not recognize at all that there is even a disk in it). The same disks will work on my standalone DVD player, as well as in my desktop PC. Are there any suggestions for a workaround for this? I have updated my aspi already. Not knowing who is the actual manufacturer of this DVD drive creates a problem (anyone out there know?), as I am unable to look up compatability or whether there's a firmware update for it that might help. I have tried, without success, to contact Fujitsu for help (I guess, with it being older, they can't be bothered). Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Depending on how OLD this drive is, it may not be able to read burned dvd's. The dvd movies you buy are actually pressed from a master disc and are not a burned type system. the drive may be designed to read factory pressed dvd's but not burned media. The cd burned media is a different process and dye also. It all comes down to what the drive was designed to read and burn. Try contacting your computer customer service and see what thet say about the dvd rom. My guess is its too old to read burned dvd's.
    Just read that you contacted cust support. Maybe try a computer repair shop near your area.
    Also download DVDinfopro(free). It will give you info on who made the drive.
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com.
    Jerry

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  3. 4kaz

4kaz Member

Thanks for the info and advice.