1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question WRT BIOS and HDD upgrade

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Rogue_77, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I currently have a ICE chip installed, planning on updating the bios this weekend. But before I do that, I want to backup the EEPROM just in case, I know there was an option in the menu but where would the files be stored? I'm still having issues with FLashXP so I'm copying files thru IE.

When I do get to the HDD upgrade, would ICE format the drive and setup the partitions for me or do I have to connect it to my PC to do that?

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Too bad you can't get flashfxp to work because you could flash with the Xenium web OS interface via http or ftp the 256 bios.bin to your C drive with your stock HD in. Not to worry because it doesn't matter if you flash with the stock or large hd because the bios goes to the Xenium memory bank. I prefer to flash with the stock hd to avoid error messages in case of a bad flash..etc..etc. Since you can't get flashfxp to work, you can make a cd-rom or dvd-rom iso with Nero and just put the 256k bios.bin file along with a 100mb dummy file on your cd-r or dvd-r then create the ISO file. The dummy file is opptional but sometimes with a small 256k file and no dummy the Xbox thinks your loading an empty disk so this makes it more readable. It doesn't matter what you use for the dummy file as long as it's not a .bin file. As far as upgrading to a new HD, the Xenium Ice has a hd upgrade wizard which i never used. Instead, I would recommend you get a hold of Auto-Installer Deluxe 1.01 and burn the ISO to a dvd-r. When you upgrade to a new Hd AID will automatically format the HD for you...it's awesome. Way better than the old outdated Slayers 2.6 Auto-Installer. It will automatically detect a new hd...trust me on this. AID has mor apps and tools then Slayers in my opinion....you can find it from the usual places. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  3. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

what's the difference between the 256 bios.bin and x2_4983 bios? Where would I find them? Xbox-scene?
    I already installed a new HD using the xenium program and I think it copied everything over as far as I can tell.

Would you recommend I upgrade the ice OS to the newest release prior to doing this?

4. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Ok, I think I put the x2_4983 bios in alright. Trying to find the auto-installer but not coming up with much and I can't find the password for the Slayer 2.6 which I found. Can anyone help me out getting a dash?

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

The 256k bios.bin is the X2 4983.06....the Xenium Ice can hold up to 1mb in bios. You have an option of 4X(256), 2X(512), or 1X(1mb). Once you finish flashing the chip and installing the new HDD, go ahead and update the OS system. It would have been alot easier to format the HDD with AID instead of using the Xenium HDD upgrade wizard but that's just me....Good Luck!!

6. mdsup

mdsup Guest

if you have downloaded slayers, all you have to do is open it up on your pc...once you open it it should give you a little window with slayer's website...the password is located there.

7. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

What does it mean that the bios can hold up to 1mb? If I put in the slayer under the x24983 bios, can I add another dash to the same bios (ie AID)?

I DL AID last night but i think it's corrupted

8. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I'm using the X2 4983.06 and the Evox M8 Plus in my Xbox and both are 256k in size which leaves me 512k to play with. As for you next question, are you talking about running multiple dashboards?? not sure what your talking about?? Did you get the bios up and running??

9. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I installed the bios, haven't tried accessing it yet though, not sure what to expect. Trying to figure out how to install the dashboard now. Yeah, I'm curious about running multiple dashboards besides the original MS one