Question...............

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Specops70, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

I just bought a 40 in JVC LCD HDTV. these are some of the specs:

LT-40X887
    40" Flat Panel LCD TV
    40" 1366 x 768 Flat Panel LCD with ATSC/QAM Tuner
    High Resolution W-XGA (1366 x 768) LCD
    D.I.S.T. 770p (Digital Image Scaling Technology)with GENESSA Picture Processing

Now I also bought an LG upconvert dvd recorder. I hooked it up directly to the LCD via HDMI cable and I am also running an optical connection to my surround sound.

Now when i play MI3, Flyboys, Grudge 2, etc. it looks and sounds awesome. Now the problem (if it is one) is that I was under the impression that since my TV is 16:9 capable that when i put a movie in it would take up the whole screen. Well negative it does not! the movie only plays in the middle of the screen. Why??? Yes i did set the dvd to 16:9 but still does nothing???

last night i played the movie the departed and it looked like crap..it looked a little blurry and it was not clear at all. Now is that just the way the movie is? what could it be??

Thanks in advance.

2. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

also does anyone know if my lcd is 1080i capable. i ask because i can actually put it on that?? and it still plays the movies. thanks.

3. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

LOLOLOL....I forgot another question i had that i just read about on this forum.

I was reading about 720p and 1080i (progressive and interlaced).

Now which is better...becuase my lcd....i think can do both???

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

This is a common complaint of new 16:9 users. Simply put, although your display is 16:9 (or 1.78:1) some movies are shot in ultra widescreen format or 2.35:1. The black bars on top and below are "normal" even with a widescreen display. I think the 3 movies you mentioned were shot this way. The concept behind this is O.A.R. or Original Aspect Ratio. Here's a good website that explains it all:

http://www.rexer.com/cine/oar.htm

5. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

thanks very helpful. Now which is better to watch a movie on.....1080i or 720p????

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

For upconversion I'd say stay as close as possible to your display's native resolution - in your case 720p. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try both with different movies and choose what looks better for you.