1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about DVD w/upconversion

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by eric_0012, Jan 29, 2007.

1. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Can someone please tell me what the new up-conversion DVD players do to make the DVD play in almost HD quality.

I've been told that it's only because it has a HDMI output. I can't imagine that a HDMI output would be the only difference.

I also have a question about a optical audio cable, I have one that connects my Dish Network DVR to my Sony surround system. I would like to get a new DVD player with up-conversion to hold me over until the HD DVD players come down in price, I also want to wait until I want to upgrade my surround system. My Sony is only 7 months old and I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

I would like to use a DVD player with up-conversion and also use a optical audio cable from the DVD player to my sound system, my problem is I am already using the one port with my Dish Network DVR.

Besides unplugging the cable from my DVR and connecting the one from my new up-conversion DVD player to the sound system, is there any other way to share that one optical port ???

Thanks in advance

2. dvdS.L.S

dvdS.L.S Member

Hi Eric,
    I have the same problem.I checked it out
    and found that they have HDMI switch boxes
    that will allow you to connect up several
    outlets to your tv.However,the last time
    that I checked they were pretty expensive.
    Un til the prices come down I'll be happy
    to switch the cables manually.I haven't
    gotten a handshake yet.
    Does anyone know of reasonably priced
    switches?
    DVDDIVA

3. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Thanks for your response, I don't have a HDMI input problem I took care of that when I bought my new 42" LCD, I made sure it had 2 HDMI inputs.

My problem is the optical audio cable my sound system only has one input which is being used by my Dish Network DVR, if I get a up conversion DVD player I'll want to use the optical audio from the DVD to my sound system which is already in use. I need a optical cable switch or a work around that doesn't include manually swiching the cables... That can put a lot of wear and tear on the input and cables

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Are you saying that your system doesn't have a digital coax connection?

Ced