1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about multisession & finalization of burned CDs

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by perfectio, May 21, 2010.

1. perfectio

perfectio Member

I have burned 100 CDs containing my product brochure 2010 in multisession mode i.e. the CDs are open for further writing. The reason is that i may or may not require to distribute this last lot of 100 CD brochures this year. The data space used is only 200 MB. My thinking is that if not used this year i can ide the present 2010 data and burn another 200 Mb of 2100 data (i.e. my next years catalogue data).

My questions are:
    01. If i need to distribute the multisesion CDs of 2010 the way thy are right now (multisession open) would they be playable (autorun and all) on my potential customer's PC or do i have to compulsorily finalize them?

02. If i need to finalize the Cds necessarily, which software can do this . I use power2Go to urn the CDs. However I cannot find how to finalize them. What i have to do is add a harmless file (such as a blank text file) as additional data and then the burn now button appears ready for use. Is there a way to finalize without the addiional data being pretentiously added? Is there software that only finalizes? Lastly, can my discs be fialized on another buner and another program?

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

1) If the CDs are not finalized, no one can read them because there is no table of contents on them. The discs must be finalized ON THE DRIVE THAT RECORDED THEM.

2) Multi-session discs have an additional problem in that writing different tracks at different times relies on the creation of data links that can be unreliable for a number of reasons. It is always the best practice to write a CD-R in the disc-at-once mode and to finalize it once it is complete in order to guarantee the greatest compatibility in players.

I am not familiar with Power2go, but it should allow you to finalize the discs without adding more data if it allows you to write multi-session discs. If it insists on having another file added in order to qualify as "multi-session," then the software is deficient. You will have to finalize the discs on the same drive that wrote to them because the temporary table of contents resides in the temporary memory files of the computer/drive/software combination. Trying different software is not likely to work.

The only other way to do what you are attempting is to use CD-RW discs, but you would be better off writing to them and finalizing them, too, in order to avoid problems with packet-writing format conflicts. If you needed to add data to them, you could at least erase the original contents and wrote new contents to them.

Last edited: May 21, 2010