1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chewy1308, Jan 4, 2005.

1. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

I have two problems:

I am having a problem using TMPGEnc to encode my Xvid.AVI file to DVD. When I get down to the final screen, I adjust the average video bitrate down to 2000 which seems to be the lowest it will let me. However, my file is still too big so would adjusting the audio bitrate down to 64 fix that? I tried it and the file size went down so that it fit, but I am just wondering whether or not the sound quality will turn out to be good on the DVD.

My second question is if I was in the middle of encoding my Xvid.AVI file to DVD when my computer was turned off, can I somehow pick up where I left off? Or do I have to start all over again...??

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1) Yes, 2000 is the minimum that TMPGenc's project wizard allows. But if you press 'Expert' in step 4 of the wizard you can lower the bitrate to 1 (even if the wizard goes on showing 2000), so that 1' = about 12 Mb and 150' = about 1800 Mb, so, even if the project wizard says that only a 150' movie fits on a DVD, you can fit on a DVD a larger movie!! Please note that, since the .AVI compression has already spoiled the video quality, making such a poor bitrate DVD is useless with respect a lame (and cheaper) couple of VCD (CD1 and CD2) or even, if you like ir, a KVCD. You're starting from a 700-800 Mb video!
    2) no, sorry

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

Thanks. So if I use the wizard, I can keep the audio bitrate at 384 or whatever the highest one is? and the video and audio quality will stay the same?

4. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

Thanks. So if I use the wizard, I can keep the audio bitrate at 384 or whatever the highest one is? and the video and audio quality will stay the same?

5. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

oops. sorry for the double reply

6. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

ok, so i just tried going to the expert button at level 4 of the wizard, but it does not allow me to change the video bitrate lower than 2000 if i am using 2-pass vbr (like the guide tells me to). is there no other way?

7. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

in the main window of tmpgenc goto>>>load>>>>extra>>>and open unlock.mcf. now you can adjust the bitrate to whatever you want but you wont be able to do this with the wizard, you'll have to load the file manually and you'll have to adjust the settings manually as well.

and as for your second question, yes you can start the encoding where you left off but it is a tedious job and it might be better just to start again, i could give you directions of how to do it, but if your new to tmpgenc or havent quite got the hang of it yet then it would be best to just start again without wasting time trying to figure it out.

also for the audio bitrate question, i'd keep the audio bitrate at 384 just to keep everything standard so that your dvd-player wont have any troubles with playback.

goodluck

8. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

ok so how exactly do i adjust the video bitrate manually? sorry im a real newbie

also, i noticed if i changed the rate contol mode to constant bitrate i can adjust the video bitrate manually. would this work without destroying the quality?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

you'll get the best results using the vbr 2pass method-quality wise and filesize wise- cbr will ruin the quality if the bitrate is too low.

first of all close the project wizard

now you'll have to load up the avi in the main window of TMPGEnc by clicking on 'browse' for video source and loading up the video from there...dont worry about audio source as that will be loaded automatically with the video.

then in the main window of TMPGEnc goto>>>load>>>>extra>>>and open unlock.mcf

then next to load click on>>setting>>>on the 'rate control mode' dropdown menu select 2pass-vbr>>>next to the rate of control menu select 'setting'>>>now you can adjust your average to as low as you want also make sure you leave the maximum bitrate as is but turn the minimum bitrate down to about 300.

if mpeg2 isnt selected from the stream type drop down menu select it now.

now you'll have to select what system the source avi uses(ntsc or pal) in the framerate dropdown window. if its pal select 25fps if its ntsc select 29.97fps.

now you want to select the right size for the right system. for pal set the size to 720 x 576 for ntsc set size to 720 x 480...if you havent already in the video format dropdown menu selected the right system(ntsc or pal) do that now.

now in the motion search precision dropdown menu select 'high quality(slow)'. setting it to 'highest quality(very slow)' doesnt improve visual quality on the output and it takes double the time to complete the conversion so its just not worth it.

leave all the other settings alone and click on the advance tab. in the advanced tab leave all the other settings alone unless you know what your doing, all you want to change is the 'video arrange method' to fullscreen(keep aspect ratio) and if 'source aspect ratio' isnt selected as 1:1(VGA) change it to that now.

and thats it, click ok on the settings window and then hit start when your ready to go.

if u run into any probs just ask
    goodluck

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2005
  10. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

so i was successful in converting the file, but now when i play it, theres no sound! is that normal? i followed your steps exactly, although i didn't know exactly at what i should put the video bitrate, but i don't think that's the problem...

11. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

sorry i shoulda mentioned it earlier...tmpgenc doesnt like compressed audio..with compressed audio it will either produce video with audio way out of sync or it wont produce any audio at all..so what you'll have to do is decompress the audio to WAV with virtualdub...

:.first load your AVI into VirtualDub then goto the audio tab and select 'full processing mode', then goto>>>file>>Save WAV...>>>give the wav output a name then just let it do its job. now this will create a separate wav audio file that TMPGEnc can now recognise and encode properly, just load the video as you normally would in TMPGEnc and for the audio select the new wav file that VirtualDub has created... and thats it, encode away.

goodluck & let us know how u get on

cheerz

12. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

...so that means i have to start over...and i should still follow the instructions for tmpgenc right

13. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

okay so i followed your instructions and now when i play the file (labeled *.mpg instead of *.m2v if that matters) there's no video! just audio. do you know what happened and how i can fix this?

14. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yes ;)
    for 'System Type' what are you setting it to? 'ES'(video/audio only or video + audio) or 'SYSTEM'(video/audio only or video + audio)

i always use system(video+audio) because it creates a mpg with video and audio in the one file, whereas ES(video+audio) will create a separate m2v file for video and a separate mp2 file for audio...you can use either of the 2 method it doesnt really matter...your dvd author will recognise both file types...just make sure that you pick either ES(video+audio) or SYSTEM(video+audio)...cause im thinkin you picked ES(audio only)

if thats not it then theres 1 final thing you can try...goto the option menu>>>enviromental setting..>>>VFAPI plug-in....now right click on 'DirectShow Multimedia File Reader' and raise the priority to 2...all this does is make tmpgenc work harder and more throughly when its trying to recognise different formats.

again if that doesnt work or you still have some questions/probs just ask.

15. chewy1308

chewy1308 Member

thank you so much! i just created my first dvd successfully...well somewhat successfully--it plays on my laptop computer/dvd burner but not on my stand alone dvd player...i think the problem is that the stand alone dvd player is not progresive scan...what do you think?

16. shand617

shand617 Member

My problem went the other way. Video but no audio. Can anyone help with this?

17. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

if the dvd plays on your laptops dvd-rom/burner, then yes you have succesfully created a properly working dvd, goodwork ;).

no it wouldnt be that your player doesnt do progressive scan..all progressive scan does is improve visual quality on tv by sharpening and reducing motion artifacts..which has nothing to do with getting your standalone to playback a dvd-+r disc...read up on progressive scan here:. http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/dvd_players/progscan.asp .

there could be many reasons why your standalone is not playing the dvd you created...first it could be that your standalone is not liking the media that your using, so try some different brands...making sure that you stay away from the cheap and nasty discs ;)...i use tdk + & - discs, yeah they might not be the cheapest media on the market but i havent made 1 coaster with them yet...second it might(and i mean might) be the dvd author your using is not compiling your dvd properly somehow...i suggest tmpgenc dvd author or dvdlab to compile your dvds...but im thinking the most probable cause why you cant get playback on your standalone is simply because your standalone cannot play dvd-+r discs only commercialy made dvds...alot of older players can only playback commercialy made dvds. so sorry to tell you m8 but it looks like you'll have to invest in a new dvdplayer but to be sure that your standalone doesnt playback dvd-+r discs use this dvd player compatibility list to search for your player...in this list users can report if their standalones can/cannot play different formats and different types of discs:. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

if it states that your standalone can indeed play dvd-+r discs then just buy some better quality discs and it should work..if it states that it doesnt play dvd-+r discs then all you can do is buy a new player theres no other way around it.

cheers m8

:.first load your AVI into VirtualDub then goto the audio tab and select 'full processing mode', then goto>>>file>>Save WAV...>>>give the wav output a name then just let it do its job. now this will create a separate wav audio file that TMPGEnc can now recognise and encode properly, just load the video as you normally would in TMPGEnc and for the audio select the new wav file that VirtualDub has created... and thats it, encode away.

read the whole thread next time m8

cheerz

18. shand617

shand617 Member

Tried that and it still did not come up right. Used a copy of WinAVI Video Converter and that did the job. Don't know what went wrong but I just couldn't get this to make a DVD with audio checking codecs and using Virtualdub, TMP and Ifoedit.

19. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well if you converted the avis audio to wav with vdub properly then the audio should of come thru with tmpgenc, but its good to here you got it working anyway.

but in future if you want to use tmpgenc to encode avis with compressed sound then convert audio to wav with vdub as you normally would, thenin tmpgenc goto the option menu>>enviromental settings..>>VFAPI plug-in..then right click on 'wave file reader' and raise the priority to 1 or 2 and see if that helps - which it should ;) -.

cheerz m8