1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about why PC games being neglected?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by wheelstb, Sep 14, 2011.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I came to PC gaming in 2007. I think that PC gaming because I cannot use my left hand very well so I use a joystick as my main controller which allows me to play one-handed.

I'm quite disappointed that man 2012 was not released for the PC. That led me to seek answers to questions I've had for a long time.

Why do companies seem almost reluctant to release anything but shooters for the PC?
    Why are sports games often neglected on the PC platform?
    The argument is often made that the games are developed on the PC and so it would take almost no work to release them on the PC platform. Is this true?

Of course the age-old argument is that PC games are immediately pirated and the company's make no money. I will be honest I do occasionally pirated game but, only to make sure they will be compatible with my joystick. If I enjoy the game I purchased it if not I delete it, usually within a matter of minutes.

Is piracy really killing PC gaming? It seems there a lot more Xbox PS3 and Wii games being pirated. My thought on this bill is there a larger percentage of PC games are parroted. For example if 100 PC games are sold. There may be 30 people playing on pirated copies. As far as consoles go if 100 games are sold 15 people may be playing on pirated copies.
    These are just some questions I've had in my head for a while and I thought it would make for interesting discussion.
    Thanks

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

shooters and strategy games allow for a lot of people to play all at once over a network.
    world of warcraft and cod black ops are 2 good examples people only buy them to play online.
    less consoles games are pirated because its harder to play them.
    i tryed streetfighter 4 on both pc and ps3 and i found ps3 to run smoother and be more responsive that was until the pc version of super street fighter 4 arcade edition came out (it runs very smooth).I know pro evolution soccer 2011 is out on pc.fifa 2011 is out on pc (ive tryed it on ps3 havnt tryed pc version yet).
    also another things that would make a different is pc has better hardware (if regularly upgraded)..pc's need to be updated to play the latest games where as a ps3,xbox360 doesnt need a new graphics card every few months.

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I completely understand and agree and understand that PCs allow for much better network play and the PC would allow for great networking play. And I do agree that it is a little bit more difficult to pirate a game console game as opposed to a PC game. But that is becoming easier and easier all of the time. I still don't believe that anything mentioned above is a substantial reason to explain why the PC is basically neglected. Maybe I just don't want to admit it. But it seems like publishers are more afraid of piracy on the computer. And more and more there are ways to prevent piracy on the computer for example, requiring validation for online play. I really think that if developers genuinely committed to bringing quality games to the PC they would be an ample reward for them. As far as games running smoother on the game systems, that could just be resolved by better programming. Again if they actually committed to producing a quality product I think they will be rewarded

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I also think PC gaming would rebound even if developers only made an effort to bring quality ports to the system.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I completely understand and agree and understand that PCs allow for much better network play and the PC would allow for great networking play. And I do agree that it is a little bit more difficult to pirate a game console game as opposed to a PC game. But that is becoming easier and easier all of the time. I still don't believe that anything mentioned above is a substantial reason to explain why the PC is basically neglected. Maybe I just don't want to admit it. But it seems like publishers are more afraid of piracy on the computer. And more and more there are ways to prevent piracy on the computer for example, requiring validation for online play. I really think that if developers genuinely committed to bringing quality games to the PC they would be an ample reward for them. As far as games running smoother on the game systems, that could just be resolved by better programming. Again if they actually committed to producing a quality product I think they will be rewarded

6. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

the truth is Game developers are turning into cheese pizza eating script Kiddies, if they cant generated code they want nothing to do with it.

as for good console ports not making it to a pc that's really simple Consoles arent PC's and these amazing console games are so homed in on maximizing a consoles compatibility that the game engine would literally fail if it was simply recoded to work with a different instruction set. being the fat lazy cows most Cubicle overlords are they simply release the game on console and pray it nets the amount of cash they hoped for. if it doesn't it will get a pc release a year or 2 later.

in a simple format the problem is Greed/Incompetence/Laziness in that order

7. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

That makes sense, as far as I understand it modern-day game systems are basically just low to midrange PCs and what really makes them shine is the way the games are programmed.

That brings up another question however if games have to be honed so dramatically for each system why is it that names are almost always released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 yet never released for the PC. I suppose they just figured that that platform will not be as profitable?