1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for basic Video Editing..

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ch4in54w, May 26, 2007.

1. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

Im wanting to play around with some anime music videos etc.. just for fun. what software would be best to take clips out of a larger clip? for example taking clips of different lengths from an anime video..

Im probably going to just use windows movie maker for the editing, seems simple enough but im not skilled yet with it.. not sure if WMM can do the clipping..

thanks!

2. zapper

zapper Guest

Just a thought try a trial version of Pinnacle Studio 10 or Ulead trial version and see how you like their software and go from their.

Perhaps som one else will chime in and recommend something to your liking, Adobe Premiere Element has a lot to offer but it has a steep learning curve, what can I say.

Hope this help.

3. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

thanks, I managed to make a video with windows movie maker but it only breaks up a movie i import into clips that are so long, i dont think I can crop a clip with WMM.. Ill look into some other software..

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yes, you can cut those clips into smaller "clips" for making your movie with WMM. The cuts won't be frame accurate or as "clean" as with a more
    more expensive NLE but at least the program broke up that very large footage into more manageable smaller clips.

5. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

okay so what program would I use in order to break them into smaller clips of my choosing and size, etc? would premier allow me to do this?

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

7. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

thanks, Ill check it out

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If your unsure of how to use it let me know and Ill do my best to help you out.

9. ch4in54w

ch4in54w Member

eh I tried it but it doesnt seem up to scale for what I want it for.. Im going to try adobe's software and see if that will let me do what I want it to do.. I want to be able to Invert colors, speed up video, slow down video, Insert Images where I want (basically to make the whole screen all white) etc..

10. whassup

whassup Regular member

Premiere ain't going to do what you want. You're going to need more firepower in the form of Adobe After Effects. However, not sure if you really want to go through all that trouble...

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

lol, geez I thought you just wanted to do frame accurate cutting of a video and export it. VirtualDub is way to underpowered for what you plan to do.

12. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

premiere will do all you want to do...provided you can afford the price tag, and learn how to handle it.

virtualdub was suggested specifically(IMO) for the simple job of "clipping'<--u wanted to be able to make your stock footage smaller....but this approach is unnecessary....the WMM or any other NLE uses a principle of "non-destructive" editing...once you import your footage the program doesn't destroy your raw stock footage..in fact it only tags it..and remembers "where" what frame to begin and end with....it doesn't really cut any of your stock footage...so "clipping" with a seperate program is completely counter productive..it evens reduces the quality of your video by adding an additional extra Render.. Also, remember once you begin a WMM project Never Move the location of your stock footage(change folders, etc) the program will not be able to find that footage.

Premiere Pro will do all of what you want...provided you have the right plugins.....the program itself is nothing without the right plugins..

Inverting colors...is easy..
    flash effects....I'd recommend using the "levels" plugin and setting key frames to "ramp' uo the white level while simulatanously ramping down the Black level. There's plugins for whatever you can imagine.

Have Fun!

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

To clear a matter up, Virtual Dub does not cut the original file. Simply you set a begining and end point and it exports that clip as a separate file keeping the original intact.

14. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yes, sorry I wasn't that clear above. Virtual Dub is non-destructive as
    well, but it does Dub the video a second time when it copies and usually
    if you don't watch what you're doing with the compression settings you can Virtual Dub yourself right out of HD space very quickly...It is a very wonderful tool that everyone should have in their tool box. It's extremely useful for finding video errors, dropped frames, unreadable frames...even comes with several "filters/effects" Virtual Dub Mod can even "parse" Vob files for you.

15. whassup

whassup Regular member

Premiere can slow down/speed up video?

16. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

of course, certainly. You can use the rate stretch tool or you can right click on an individual clip and in the dialog box under :
    speed/duration you can choose to adjust the rate/duration by percentage or specify a given time.....then you will notice in the header title something similar to- [145%] added after the description.
    please note the following: time is denoted as 00;00;00;00,<-- these last two digits are the frames(01-29) if your project is NTSC(30fps) or (01-24) if project is PAL(25fps) or 1-23 if 24fps

also remember, that 100% duration...the clip plays at the same framerate and duration
    that you specified your project setup to. (Adobe should "conform" all your footage to the specified framerate.)

anything greater than 100% means you've stretched the rate/duration which will make it look SLOW MOTION.

anything less than 100% means you've compressed the rate/duration...
    speeds up the clip.