1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions HDD and badblock and burn DVD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gamer1987, Dec 11, 2020.

1. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

If a rar, zip or exe file is good in a good sector of the HDD and that sector becomes bad (badblock) then these files are corrupted and burned on DVD discs as if they were non-corrupted files? I use ImgBurn, BurnAware Free and Ashampoo Free

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If the sector becomes bad, it won't be read so you won't be able to burn a corrupted file as a non-corrupted file. There's some software out there that can recover files in bad sectors. I don't know how they work or if the recovered files will be complete.

3. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

there are many zip, rar and exe files if one of these files is located in a defective sector this file will be ignored and the burning of the DVD with all other files will be completed or not?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If none of the other files have data in that sector, they should burn fine.

5. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

But if any of these zip, rar and exe files are located in bad sector badblock what will happen with burning the DVD?

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't know what you mean by "badblock." I'm just talking about bad sectors on a HDD.

If any files are in a bad sector, you won't be able to add them to your compilation before burning so, I'm not sure what you mean by what will happen when you burn. Anything you can add to the compilation should burn.

7. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

When adding the file located in a defective sector for DVD burning compilation, what message appears? does this appear on Windows XP and year 2000 HDDs?

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If a file is in a bad sector, you wouldn't be able to see it in WE or whatever window comes up in the software you're using to add it to the compilation. Are you having some kind of burning problem?

9. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I am not having any problems but I burned several DVD discs and then I noticed that my HDD has some bad sectors so I thought they were burned secretly without alert

10. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Most HDDs have bad sectors out of the box. Files wouldn't be written to them and, if the sectors the files are in get corrupted later, you wouldn't be able to see the files.

Since you said "secretly", are files you didn't add to your compilation showing up on the discs?

11. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

the re-allocated sectors have a limit and after that the zip, rar and exe files would start to be recorded in a defective sector, there is another situation where a good sector becomes a bad sector so I asked if any zip, rar and exe files are located in bad sector will I be notified when burning the DVD?

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Are you talking about a bad sector on the disc? The software wouldn't burn to a bad sector on it and there would be no error messages unless your compilation is too big for the disc. You should get a message or display on the screen to that effect before the burn.

13. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

bad sector in hdd, burn for DVD

14. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You used the term "recorded" so I thought you were talking about the disc.

I think we've already covered bad sectors on the HDD. Windows, Linux, etc. won't save files to bad sectors.

15. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

what is the protection for rar and exe zip files not being saved in bad sectors of the HDD?

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

It doesn't matter what kind of files they are. The firmware on the HDD and the Windows driver control the detection of bad sectors and where files are written.

17. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I read that this has a limit the firmware and the driver at some point can not relocate defective sectors, in which case the files go to the defective sectors and are burned on DVD?

HDD IDE of 2000 year and Windows XP have firmware and driver that performs these functions?

18. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't know where you read that but it's not correct. If it came to the point where the only thing left is bad sectors, the HDD is full and nothing can be written to it. You would be getting messages about space on the HDD long before that. I had to juggle that in Win 95 when the HDD was only about 10 MB.

19. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

my doubt is what happens when trying to burn DVD disc where the zip, rar and exe files are in a defective sector of the HDD?

20. aldan

aldan Active member

if that is true its likely you will get a warning of corrupted files.for the price of a dvd just try it for gods sakes.you have been given good advice on how to do something it seems you have not and may not even do.

wither 1 likes this.