1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on SVCD AVI

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CFalafel, Nov 2, 2004.

1. CFalafel

CFalafel Member

I downloaded (legally) the movie Fahrenheit 911. The file name is Fahrenheit.911.SVCD-TS.Centropy.DIVX_Xtech.avi. I assumed since it said SVCD that it was ready to be burned.

When I tried to burn it in Nero, Nero spent hours re-encoding it and then told me the file was too large.

What do I need to do to burn it (on CD or DVD)?

TIA!

2. macdre

macdre Guest

yeah someone please respond to this i'm having the same trouble i hope this gets cleared up

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

SVCd probably means that the movie comes from a SVCD. An AVI cannot be 'for a SVCD', it is a compressed movie. You can fit about 40' of movie on a SVCD or 80' of movie on a VCD. AVI needs its codec installed on your PC (DivX, Xvid..) means that you can read it only if you have the proper codec installed on your PC and a 800 MB .AVI can become a .MPG (therefore a VCD) 1500 MB long!
    Thaerefore the rule is:
    (1) read my 'sticky' thread and stop complaining if you do something wrong
    (2) decode the AVI with TMPGenc and Settings__advanced__Select Range twice: do Range 0-->F for Fahrenheit.CD1.MPG; do Range: F+1-->end (put -1 and TMPGenc will go to the end of the movie) for Fahrenheit.CD2.MPG (with F about at half of the movie)
    (3) make 2 VCDs imges CD1.bin/cue and CD2.bin/cue with VCDGear
    (4) burn them with Nero, since you seem to like it so much.
    (5) stop complaining and think that all that was written on the 'sticky' threads of this forum and on the guide section of Afterdawn.

4. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

aldaco, can you make the two bin files from the svcd to a dvd movie somehow? Thanks!

5. tmberwlf

tmberwlf Member

as always when you dl look at the whole file name to see what the extension is...but if you have the time, it is time consuming, but you can convert the file so that you can burn as (s)vcd...i have been trying out alot of programs of late, looking for programs to turn files to kvcd so that i can have them on one disc instead of 2 and not lose quality. one program that i did run into that would help you and is easy to use, doesnt take your whole day up, allows you to convert your file...of course when you convert the file you will run into the too large factor, but this program also allows you to split the file so that you can burn onto 2 discs. program:video workshop. it allows you to pick at which point of the movie you would like to cut it, you get to preview, so you will see at what point you are cutting the movie...so hope this will help, just convert the file, then go to cut and pick where you want cd 1 to end and cd 2 to start.
    ps. anyone has a good program that will transfer files so that i can burn to a kvcd format would be greatly appreciated.
    lates

6. CFalafel

CFalafel Member

So whoever released it had the movie on a SVCD and ripped the file off the disc?

Does anyone just release movies already encoded and ready-to-burn? Or are those files too large for most people to download in any reasonable time?

Excuse my newbieness, I'm just trying to get the big picture. I've read the sticky threads and I understand the encoding process, but I was confused by the name of the file. I didn't realize SVCD referred to the source and not the intended output. Because it's an AVI can't you encode it to whatever output you want, not just SVCD? Or have I missed something again?

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

duboy1, you can merge with TMPGenc___MPEG Tools___Merge & Cut and can make a DVD mpeg-2 movie, with the movies you're talking about. But 2 CDs are cheaper than a DVD. More, the movie resolution won't be bigger than the one of the original movie. Why do you want to do this? Just to have less objects? If you use the KVCD templates for TMPGenc (read the 'sticky' thread) a movie can stay in a single CD (they declare that 120' of SKCD-movie [352x480/576 NTSC/PAL] will fit on a single CD)!

CFalafel, .AVI movies can be of any resolution (from 352x240 to >700x400!)
    Of course, you must select different codec's 'profiles' and the .AVI size depends on the movie reslution you want to keep + the goodness of the codec used (DivX and Xvid are the best ones).

Using TMPGenc you can create any type of MPEG: VCD MPEG-1, SVCD MPEG-2, up to DVD MPEG-2 and how good it is depends mainly by the resolution of the original movie and if the resoution is achieved by 'guess' or if it is reduced from a greater one.

Ususlly I prefere AVIs, they are smaller and, after a while of good TMPGenc encoding, can be what I want (bur you must own a registered codec, the COding capability is freeware, the DECoding capability is not. Maybe Xvid is freeware, but using it is not so simple).
    A movie can be .AVI compressed with good quality up to 700/800 MB with a good codec used well; the same movie in .MPG is about twice so big (mpeg-2 are even bigger than mpeg-1!)
    If one doesn't own any codec, or didn't learn to use any codec, he/she preferes to make mpegs (mpeg-1:VCD or mpeg-2: DVD or SVCD) since the useful applications are more or less free (alas, I don't deal with DVD ripping, I don't own a DVD reader, but I think I'm right).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004