1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick evox.ini file question...

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by WA2FAST, Oct 10, 2003.

1. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

Okay, Yes I am a NewB here (as much as I hate to say it) and I am on the road to having a fully functional modded box. I have installed the chip, it works great, I have flashed the bios in it with the latest X2_4978.03_512k and I am ready to make my boot disk. I am going through the evox.ini file and the guide for it and I am to a point to which I am confused.

Under the BIOS setting... the guide mentions:"The above bios section is a list of chip flashing info and a list of hash values of bios for identification purposes. For an updated list of the top part (NOTE: do not remove or edit the bottom part.) Add the info found here:"(Then it gives a Xbox-Scene web address).

Well, here I am. Is there something I need to add here, or do I just leave it alone? Also, there are four items under the [MISC] section that no information is given on (more than likely due to a EvoX revision since the article), but they are:
    EnableSMART = Yes
    HDD_Temp_ID = 194
    DebugTSR = No
    ChameleonLed = 15

Any info on these? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much guys in advance, this site has been a HUUUUUGE help so far and I am almost there! Please help me on the last couple of steps!

2. GetModded

GetModded Guest

To make your boot disc ou only need to change the IP settings to what you want. Everything else can be left alone.
    HDD_Temp is a new feature of the dash which gives you a read out of the temps of the XBox.
    The ChameleonLED is to control the blinking blue LED if you have a Chameleon chip installed.
    The other 2 I'm not too sure.
    RustyDog

3. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know. The DebugTSR is set to No, so I am not too worried about that one (at least it's disabled). So when I go to FTP those files to the HD, I can just leave them be and I should be good?

Also, dumb question, but when I try to use XBTool to modify how my logo looks, I was under the impression that I am supposed to open up the actual BIOS file (in my case, this is Xecuter2 Build.4978.03 512k), make the changes, and then save it. When I open up the file, everything is grayed out and I can't change a thing. What do I do? All I want to do is modify how my logo looks. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you again guys, you all rock!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  4. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Once you FTP the dash files to your Xbox you'll also need to rename the .xbe file from default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe.
    For XBTool first try updating the version your using. If that doesn't work it may be just the bios that can't be changed.
    RustyDog

5. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

Isn't 1.0.5 the current version? What do I do exactly about a BIOS that can't be changed? Is there a difference between BIOS's of the same kind... one that can and one that can't be changed? I just don't get it.

6. GetModded

GetModded Guest

XBtool 1.0.9
    >> XBtool(info) is a BIOS Pack, Unpack, and Patch Tool.
    What's new/fixed:
    * Fix: fan speed over 50% reset to 50% on read (did not effect actual setting of the speed).
    * Unencrypted 2bl support (actually added a few versions ago).

7. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

Thank you very much GetModded... I got the latest version and it works like a charm. It must have been just that the new BIOS file I have was too new for the older version.

Everything is working like a charm with the box. I have tons of apps and (legal) games for it so far and everything is working just great. I have noticed that in the evox.ini file, it has a section under the Menu settings and at the bottom for locking and unlocking the HDD. Why is it I don't have any menu options to do this on the dashboard? I have gotten quite familiar with editing the ini file, but I can't seem to get this one to work. Any suggestions?

8. GetModded

GetModded Guest

I don't think it's an option to lock or unlock the drive, more telling you whether it is locked or unlocked.
    ConFigMagic is still the easiest way to lock or unlock the harddrive.
    RustyDog

9. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

I don't think so... it looks to me like it should be a menu item on the main page. Here... this is my evox.ini file from the [Menu] section to the bottom...

[Menu]

Section "Root"
    {
    Item "Launch DVD",ID_Launch_DVD
    Item "Trainers",ID_trainer
    Item "MS Dashboard",ID_MS_Dash
    Item "Reboot",ID_Quick_Reboot
    Item "Power Off",ID_Power_Off
    # Item "Flash Evox BIOS","c:\bios\d6.bin",ID_Flash_Bios_File
    # Item "Lock Harddisk",@210
    # Item "Unlock Harddisk",@211
    Section "System Utils"
    {
    Item "Settings",ID_Settings
    Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios
    Item "Backup",ID_Backup
    Item "Skins",ID_Skins
    }
    Section "Launch Menu"
    {
    Section "Games"
    {
    AutoAddItem "e:\games\"
    AutoAddItem "f:\games\"
    SortAll
    }
    Section "Apps"
    {
    AutoAddItem "e:\apps\"
    AutoAddItem "f:\apps\"
    SortAll
    }
    }
    }

[Action_10]

LogFile = "f:\lock.log"
    Info "This function will lock your XBOX Harddisk"
    Warning "You will now lock your XBOX harddisk and will be able"
    Warning "to boot from an original XBOX bios"
    #

hddlockenable

[Action_11]

LogFile = "f:\unlock.log"
    Info "This function will unlock your XBOX Harddisk"
    Warning "You will now unlock your XBOX harddisk and will not be able"
    Warning "to boot from an original XBOX bios"
    #
    hddlockdisable

Doesn't it look to you like it should be a menu item?

Also, after Debian install on the 'unpartitioned space' on my 10 gig drive... should I disable the F: drive? It states UseFDrive=Yes right now... but it probibly won't be able to read the Linux partition, so what should I do?... or should I do anything?
    Also, one last thing (thank you so much for putting up with my ignorance so far, I really appreciate it)... is there a 'list' of compatable hard drives or anything like that? I would really like to upgrade it... also, how do you prepare it and is there a heat issue related to it (I would assume so, but maybe some do better than others in the box)?

Thanx again so much!

10. GetModded

GetModded Guest

It looks like it should be a menu option from the evox.ini. I know mine doesn't have a menu option either. Looking at the readme file of the updates somewhere it should have ConFigMagic.
    I'll mess with it and see what it does.
    There is a list of harddrive on Xbox-scene.com but most any major brand harddrive will work. The 2 most popular seem to be Maxtor and Western Digital. The heat really isn't an issue as long as you keep the fan vent in back open and free flowing. Using XBTool you can also increase the speed of the fan to cool better. But it gets alittle noisy.
    RustyDog

11. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

Great, thank you very much. Let me know what you come up with as far as locking and un-locking the HDD... that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for all of your help.

12. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Edit the evox.ini by removing the # signs from before the items you want to show up in the menu.
    It worked for me that way.
    RustyDog

13. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

You beat me to it! I realized this morning as I was looking at the file again that the "#" symbol is like a "rem" in DOS. I didn't remove it yet, but I probibly will just to see how it works. There really isn't any reason to unlock your drive from what I can see as long as you have EvoX and can FTP your box anyway.

I am reading that in order to replace your HD, you need to boot EvoX from a CD and select the "Prepare HD" option to have it install the basic partitions and files to work in the box... Am I missing something here? I haven't ever seen an EvoX iso file anywhere... is that what I need or something? I am confused as to what to do with that whole thing.

14. GetModded

GetModded Guest

The easiest way to replace the harddrive is to use one of the Auto Installers like Slayers or Team Xaviers to format, partition, and install all your Apps.
    Slayers installs the EvolutionX dash and some common Apps.
    Team Xavier's Auto Installer gives you the option to installs between 1 and 4 different dash's and also installs some common Apps.
    RustyDog

15. Superchux

Superchux Guest

Hey poeple i can't even find evolution x to download please help can't find #xbins heart they were inthere.

16. WA2FAST

WA2FAST Member

I assume I get these auto format utilities from the same place as everything else? Why haven't I seen them on there?

17. GetModded

GetModded Guest

I don't think Slayers is on #xbins and I know Team Xaviers isn't. The files are too big and would take up too much bandwidth on #xbins from what I've heard.
    You can find the creators of Team Xavier at www.xbox100.com for a link to their installer.
    RustyDog