1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickest Way to Extract Audio from AVI?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Xplorer4, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Right now I use MKVExtract for MKVs which is quick and easy, but AVI is another story. I can load the video in AviDemux or say VirtualDub but this wants to processes the video before it will alow me to save the audio. Is there a quicker way then the like of AVIDemux and VirtualDub for extracting AVI audio?

NOTE to Mods - This should probably go in the Video Software forum, but for some reason when I click the start new thread in that forum, it takes me back to the index rather then new thread page. This was the second best place to put it. Please feel free to move it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDub:
    File > Save WAV.(saves it in WAV format)
    or
    File > Export > Raw audio. (saves it as mp3 if it's mp3 etc)

AviDemux:
    Top menu > Audio > Save

3. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Hi attar, it appears you did not read the question carefully. I did not ask HOW, I asked if there was a quicker way. Thanks anyways though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. attar

attar Senior member

No, I read it over a few times before replying.
    A typical 700MB AVI file in VirtualDub takes twenty-five seconds to export the audio without decompression.
    If saved to wav (with decompression) it takes ~double

A 4GB file takes around forty to forty-five seconds without decompression.

I admit I don't know of any faster method - however in any case there is no video processing involved.

5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Interestingly enough vdub does seem to work a bit faster. I tested it against AVIDemux on the same file, and it took 40 seconds vs 1min 30 seconds.

Anyways, you still do not seem to understand what I am asking. I was never talking about extraction times, but rather the procedure of getting to the extraction. Again, I will use MKVExtract as an example. So MKVExtract, you drag and drop the MKV and hit extract. Then you can sit back and wait in the extraction. With either AVIDemux, you load the video, then it takes 2 menu clicks to get to the point of setting a file name and extension, then you can sit back and wait on the extraction. Not that the clicks and such are a ton of work, but just trying to speed up the procedure. In this case it is extracting AC3 audio, applying Dynamic Range Compression, and remuxing the audio.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011