1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quicktime error apple no help!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by puppetj, Feb 5, 2006.

1. puppetj

puppetj Member

i had qt alt on my system 1.68final, thought i needed to to get real qt to play a certain file format that seemed not to work with qt alt and made the mistake of installing real qt before uninstalling qt alt the install went fine (it seemed to install right in the qt alt dir, but couldnt use player so uninstalled got error (error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from file c:\windows\installer\quicktime.msi) i even get that when i try to reinstall real qt or qt alt how do i fix this now i cant even play mov's or either

2. puppetj

puppetj Member

uh? why cant i get help??

3. umug

umug Regular member

First, if you have XP try a system restore to sometime before the damage was done, if that doesn't work try........

http://www.appdeploy.com/tools/detail.asp?id=224

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

It should help but I haven't tried it for myself so use at your own risk.

4. puppetj

puppetj Member

first off THANK YOU!!!! that fixed it, but i wonder if you could help me with something, i have qt alt 1.68final back installed, but i cant get it to play .mp4 or m4v in stand alone play like wmp or mpc. now i look in the qt alt settings under mime settings for browser playing, i found those file formats & checked the box and they play in firefox, but when i check anything in the file types tab in qt alt settings then save them, then close they dont play in wmp or mpc. so i tried going back in qt alt setting to the file types tab & there un checked again why is this not saving or taking???

5. umug

umug Regular member

Happy to assist. :)

With your next problem, I'm wondering if you have the necessary codecs installed?

It sounds like that could be causing your difficulties. Try -

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Install the required pack (which won't do any harm even if you don't need them) and keep your fingers crossed that it's fixed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  6. puppetj

puppetj Member

well i do have the right codecs installed, overwise it would not play in firefox, i dont mess with codecs pack anymore sorry. sorry i dont know if you didnt understand my question.....in quicktime settings (on qt alt 1.68) under the browser tab, there is a button "mime settings" in there i can checked what i want to be supported applying this will save its only for browser playing, but the "file types" tab if i check anything under this it wont stay checked after i apply the settings then leave, if i come back to the setting there unchecked again...that my probelm...i want these to stay checked so i can play the formats in a player such as wmp or mpc

7. umug

umug Regular member

OK, if you right click on one of the files and choose 'open with' do you still get the menu with a list of options which still includes WMP, MPC, etc?

If you do, can you then use that option to play/watch the file with WMP or MPC?

If you can still view/play the files that way it looks like something else -qt alt - may have set itself up as the default player for those formats.

One way around that is when you right click the file you want to play there is an option which says 'choose program', click that option and select the program you want as your default player from the list, then tick 'always use the selected program to open this type of file'.

That should make WMP or MPC or whatever you choose to be the default media player a permanent setting. (I HOPE)

I hope that helps.

8. puppetj

puppetj Member

Yeah i know all about this stuff, but this wont help at all if the settings wont stay, and i dont want to play the file this way anyway. why wont the setting in "files types" not stay checked i want them "to stay checked" but there are unchecking them selfs if there not checked then they wont play in the player.

9. umug

umug Regular member

Will [bold]anything[/bold] play the files when they are unchecked?

Can you remember when the problem began, or what programs you have installed which may have started this happening?

Perhaps if you uninstall qt alt and see if that fixes the problem.

There must be something that has associated itself with those files which is the now the new default setting which is why it keeps unchecking.

10. puppetj

puppetj Member

it plays in firefox if i drag it in there whith video and sound. if i try it in wmp i get a error looking for codecs then it just plays the sound no video, if i play it in mpc i get this error "media player classic could not render some pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system"
    (MY COMMENT HOW CAN I NOT HAVE THE CODECS INSTALLED?? , THEY PLAY IN FIREFOX!)

the following pin(s)failed to find the conncetable filter:
    SnapStream Firewall filter::Output

Stream 0
    SnapStream Firewall Filter

Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: Unknown GUID Name {5634504D-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    formattype: FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D80E3-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 0
    bTemporalCompression: 1
    lSampleSize: 0
    cbFormat: 160

there is a button "look for codecs"
    press that i get an error of the website not working

if i hit ok, it goes to the player but just plays sound

no why its saying Snapstream i dont know i do have beyond tv 3.7.4 installed but that cant play it either....

"Can you remember when the problem began, or what programs you have installed which may have started this happening?"

ANSWER: i never played m4v or mp4 until now, i never needed to...so i dont know. i hope this info will help.

11. umug

umug Regular member

This is weird, and I'm completely baffled, but IMHO I really have to go back to something I suggested previously, try

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

If WMP and MPC are both telling you that they need codecs you'd have to at least try to see what happens.

I'm not familiar with Firefox, but I think that it uses extensions(?), perhaps the extensions/codecs that Firefox uses to play the video/movie correctly aren't accessible to Micro$oft players.

Create a system restore, install the codec pack, if it doesn't work you can always go back and remove the pack, if it does work we will both be happy.

Apart from that I have run out of suggestions, and it will take someone with more knowledge than I have to assist you :(

12. puppetj

puppetj Member

yea sorry WILL NOT use codec packs they messed my pc up to many times, btw i dont use system restore either its horror & has not restored like its supposed to even with its update its disabled anyway. I like certain things they way they are, like i pefer older divx5.01 then the newer one, same as ffdshow they just work better for me. anyway...
    way isnt there just a codec around by itself that i can just get, what is it called? and yeah please if you can past this to someone. I would really like to get watching these dam vidcasts LoL Thanks

13. umug

umug Regular member

I hate to admit defeat, lol, try:

http://www.updatexp.com/codec-for-windows-media-player-9.html

There is some very interesting information there, and there's a good chance that help is there, note the information about 2/3rds of the way down the page which may be of particular interest.

I've bookmarked it for future reference for my own use.

14. puppetj

puppetj Member

where is it , i have mwp 10.. do you mean the
    "If you need the MPEG4 file format (.mp4) then try the Envivo plug-in. (No longer a FREE download.)" i when there no only is it not free, its not there anyway... but if it was i wouldnt pay for it lol.

if not then what area on the page?

15. umug

umug Regular member

Plan 'B', as you don't want to download a codecs pack, and I wouldn't pay for a plug-in either, how about installing another media player?

VLC Media Player is very good, I use it, it plays all formats, you don't need to download any codecs, and best of all it's FREE.

http://www.videolan.org/

16. puppetj

puppetj Member

that plug-in inst there, even if i wanted to buy it, i need to use something that works with wmp or mpc because i'am actaully watching this thru myhtpc program now called meedio, no they dont have a plugin for myhtpc & i dont want there new software called meedio either. I just need to get the setting checked and ill be fine, how can i do this i dont know

17. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok i uninstalled qt alt & real alt, ran reg mech fix somethings, *nothing mention qt alt) rebooted, installed qt alt, real alt. btw install these you have the option to have these formats of real & qt support for firefox,opera. so i when into then qt alt setting for browser playing .mp4 wasnt not checked..so i dragged it into firefox and it doesnt play it just give me as save as/open with option. not i go back into the qt alt setting for browser check the .mp4, save, then drag it back in and it plays. so firefox doesnt play it like you mentioned before:

"I'm not familiar with FireFox, but I think that it uses extensions(?), perhaps the extensions/codecs that FireFox uses to play the video/movie correctly aren't accessible to Micro$oft players."

so i right clicked on the player in firefox and got this option to save as qt movie so i did. it save the .mp4 as a .mov played the new .mov in mpc and it played yeah getting somewhere...but PROBELMS HIT AGAIN! if i play that new .mov in wmp or myhtpc i dont get a codec error, but it just plays the sound again why no video in here but in mpc??

18. puppetj

puppetj Member

what happened i still need help please!

19. puppetj

puppetj Member

Uhhh.. what happened???? i still need help, please dont leave me hanging here like this??? where making progress