1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[quote]Ripping[/quote] Definition?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rossignol, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rossignol

rossignol Member

I have been doing a lot of thread reading on these forums and I think I can burn my first DVD now (though I haven't YET) thanks to some good guides and bbmayo's GREAT home page - which has pictures!
    So here's my question:
    What exactly is meant by ripping?
    From what I understand ripping is the part where the files are removed from the DVD (regardless of the destination i.e. hardrive or RW)? Is this right? Sometimes when someone mentions ripping it seems like the mean the whole process of burning the DVD...
    I looked in the glossary and tried searching for it in a thread but I didn't find anything. I know it's a simple question and may seem kind of silly but I think defining that will help me understand the threads and guides better. THANKS!

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Ripping/decryptying mean as you say, removing from original medium (dvd) and transfering to new medium (hard drive)

Encoding is what needs to be done in order to transfer dvd-9 to dvd-5 or from one format to another(ie change size, .AVI to .VOB)

Burning is just that, burning the new dvd

Good luck