1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R30 file in zip file..

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Schwaber, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Ok, u know when you are downloading a movie or a game using torrents and is contained in zip files, along with those "R30, R31, R32" unkown files. K, I acidentally opened one of those unknown files in Windows Media Player. Ofcourse, it didn't work, but how would I bring it back to being an unknown file again? I know that this is confusing but please bare with me.

Another explanation: If you click those unkown files (R30,R31,etc) a window will open saying that windows cannot open the file. choose an appropiate program or let the web search it for you.( by the way, the icon for those R30 file types are those default "play" icon) So basically, I chose Windows Media Player to open with it and I just knew that u sholdn't do that. U should leave it as it is. Now, when I download another file from p2p containing those "R30, R31" files, along with zip files, instead of the icon (play) it now shows the windows media player icon.

Does it affect the file if I did that? Cuz I burned the movie and the first 5 sec of the movie doesn't have any sounds, but the rest has.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

The icon thing has nothing to do with why your movie is silent for 5 seconds at the start.

The R30, etc thing relates to RAR archives (which are not "zip files") which are split over multiple files. A RAR archive can consist of one file or it can be "split" over a number of files. There will be a rar file, and a bunch of numbered files like this:-

Bigmovie.rar
    Bigmovie.r01
    Bigmovie.r02
    Bigmovie.r03

and so on.

A number of programs can open RAR archives and extract the contents. WinZip is one. WinRAR is another. (They are not the only ones.) You will have such an app on your system registered to deal with such files.

Windows recognises the rar file as being a RAR archive, so it shows a WinRAR or WinZip icon for it in Explorer. It also recognizes the multipart files too. There is a problem with Windows which is it stops recognising the multipart files when it gets past .R29, so R30, R31 and so on are shown as "unknown types", which is wrong. WinRAR, WinZip, etc know exactly what to do with them. It's just a Windows bug. It doesn't affect anything or stop anything from working.

If it bothers you, just right click on the R30 file and choose "open with" and pick WinRAR or WinZIP or whatever program you have got installed. Choose "always open with this application" and then you'll find the unknown files start at R31 in future. You could change them all if you want, but, frankly, it's a chore so why bother?

(Sorry to be pedantic, but in English when we mean "you", we normally write "you". Y-o-u. The letter U does not mean the same thing, except when kids write text messages. It's only a small thing, but it can annoy some people. Like me!)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  3. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

LMFAO! your funny!!! I could have typed "you" but I was lazy and tired at that time.(ready for bed) so sorry for any inconveniences. So basically, is doesn't alter or change anything with the downloaded file? Its just a bug right..? In that case, I won't bother changing it anymore. THANK YOU VERY MUCH