1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R4 card problem

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by vja, Dec 13, 2011.

1. vja

vja Member

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help as I am clueless about all this.

My son got a new DSi XL and an R4 card to go with it. When you put the card in and try to select it you get a message saying error occurred please switch off and refer to handbook. I thought at first it was maybe the settings as other people tried the card in their DS and worked fine however yesterday I put someone else's card in his DS and worked straight away which suggests can't be the settings either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. alexsu

alexsu Member

Hey, this problem happend because your R4 card is lower version than your DSi XL, so you need to upgrade your R4 card. Just check what version your DSi XL is, then try to upgrade your R4i card to the same or higher version to work with your DSi XL.

You can check the offical website to download the upgrade file and check how to upgrade the R4i card. The offical website shows on the R4i card. Hope this helps.Thanks.

3. vja

vja Member

Hi alexsu

Thanks for your reply but at the risk of sounding really really stupid how do I do that?! I am not sure what you are referring to when say official website. I have googled upgrading of R4 card and there are so many different methods. My concern is if just follow one it may not be correct one and also concerned i delete games in the process!

Sorry for my stupidity! 😒

4. bigfrost

bigfrost Member

u have type what r4 card u have in because some card aren't legit r4 cards.

5. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

The DSi software blocks flashcarts, so it will depend what firmware the R4 was designed for and what firmware the DSi is on.

To update the R4 it is the Bios part of the card that needs to be updated to do this you need to know exactly what R4 you have and get their software to do this (not all R4's can do this - there are over 50 cards calling themselves R4)To run this, if it is available you will need an unblocked Dsi or a DS as once the DSi has the software to block the card it will not run the update at all.