1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 260x problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Msnooks, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Hi there,

I have just bought the new asus r7 260x OC model
    To replace my gtx280 as I was having heat issues with it the other day.

The card keeps black screening me even though the monitor is
    Still on. I know the 260x is a pcie3 card which It is in a pcie2.1 slot
    But it should still work until I can upgrade the rest of my rig.

I have a
    gigabyte ex58 extreme
    Intel i7 920 D0 2.66ghz
    12gb 1600 ddr3 corsair ram
    1000watt corsair hx1000 psu

I just don't understand why this is becoming un-usable when
    I just bought it yesterday. It black screens or freezes on restart, black screens
    On opening catalyst centre.

Any ideas?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is your cpu overclocked? is the video connector from the psu plugged into the card?

3. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Nope, CPU is stock at 2.66ghz. Speed stepping is off, turbo is off. 6 pin is in the card supplying up to 50amps on both rails of the 1000watt supply.
    I tried the drivers that came with it, and it work for abit but I kept getting artifacts on my screen just browsing Facebook.

I tried the latest update from amd catalyst beta 8. Still no luck.

Got In touch with asus and they didn't tell me anything new. I can't even test it in another rig as this is my only one. Still waiting for a reply from scan.co.uk where I got it from at the weekend.

Does this card use extra power from new mobos? I see mobos with extra
    8 pin PCI-e connectors or something like that.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it will get extra power from psu directly not thru motherboard. i think you have a bad card as that happened with a customer once with a brand new system & he also had bad brand new ram too.

5. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

i did contact scan where i bought it from and they dont have a clue either. Its not like i have another rig i can test the card with yet it just really doesn't want to work. plugging it in and booting the pc up is fine. installing catalyst drivers from disc crashes. i have seen someone else review the 260x and his gpu-z says its running on pci-e 1.1 which is less that than what i am trying to run it at. my gpu-z freezes loading up. i guess there is something weird about the card which gpu-z can't read whats going on correctly.

i did gpu-z running a couple of times the other day and it showed it running at pci-e 2.0 and then i checked again later on and it had stepped it down again to pci-e 1.1. Its like it can't make up its mind. Hopefully i can take it back tomorrow since i have a day off work. Well gutted so far especially since its only just come out

6. qqangel

qqangel Newbie

the problem is amd driver,me got stock 60pcs for cyber cafe the problem same like this always black screen