1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid 0 Or Not

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jfarrell, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jfarrell

jfarrell Member

I am currently in the process of setting up a PC, I am going to use 2 x 160gb HDD Sata Diamond Max9. I am undecided on whether or not to use Raid 0 I have read a test at http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/RAID/ and the only benefit is file access time I believe if I have interpretated the result correctly.

My dilema is that I can remember reading somewhere that if i used 2 disk for encoding then it would speed up this process, however Raid 0 makes the pc see the two disks has one fast disk, if this is the case will it be faster using the raid 0 or not using raid 0.

Cheers

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly how it's supposed to work :) Even though your PC only sees one drive, there are still two physical drives feeding data at the same time. Faster file access is a good thing!

3. jfarrell

jfarrell Member

There must be a difference between having raid 0 and seeing 1 disk or having 2 disks completly seperate, which way would be faster or would the speed be the same?

Cheers

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Broadly, the benefits and drawbacks of Raid 0 (striping) are thus:

Benefits:
    1 - vastly increased read speed (almost double the rate that a single disk is capable of), IF your system is capable of handling it.

2 - great increase in writing speed (in the region of a 50% increase), IF your system is capable of handling it.

3 - no loss of storage capacity (2 x 160gb = 320gb)

4 - Operating system will see it as ONE drive, easier management.

Disadvantages:
    1 - NO SECURITY OF DATA, if one of the drives in the stripe set fails, you lose ALL your data

2 - needs matched drives, otherwise performance and space suffer.

Hope this helps...

5. Nephilim

Let's try this again :) In order for RAID to work the two disks must be seen as one and the data is split between them in order to boost the read/write speed. The way RAID is able to work so fast is that say you have a 128K chunk, with RAID it is split into two 64K chunks,one chunk per disk. When the data needs to be accessed RAID is faster because the data is retrieved by two read heads on two separate cables versus one read head and one cable.

Two separate disks with no RAID would result in chaos because the two disks would be doing their own thing oblivious to what the other is doing - no harmony. There needs to be "management" between the two disks in order for the whole thing to work.

How'd I do?

6. jfarrell

jfarrell Member

I'd take it that it would be faster using raid 0 then.

Cheers

7. Nephilim

8. seadale

seadale Regular member

hello all, question. how would i go about changing from raid1 to raid0. I didn't realize i would lose one of my 335g HD when I did the raid1 configuration. My bad. Thanks in advance