1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAID setup?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 00lloyd, Sep 30, 2007.

1. 00lloyd

00lloyd Regular member

I am new to the whole 'RAID' thing and I understand the basic principles / setups, but I just need a little help. I want to run both xp and vista on my pc, and have a raid setup. Is a hardware raid worth the extra effort in comparison to a software raid, and if I did use a software raid with xp would the setup still work when if boot vista. My thoughts were to just have 2 partritions the 1st hdd (1 partrition for each os) and then software raid the the other two hdd's together (for programs and all other files). My other idea would be just to hardware raid 2 hdd's and just run xp on them (would that be easier to setup and more efficient?). Basically I'm asking if anyone can sugest an efficient setup whilst keeping in mind that I need to dual boot (if that is possible).

Thanks for all help in advance, 00lloyd.

P.S Sooo sorry this post was long and windy, lol.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RAID will work across different versions of windows as long as the chipset driver is installed on each. Hardware RAID isn't really necessary for RAID0 or RAID1, but it pays off for RAID5 and RAID6.