1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by j_holmes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

hi guys,

I wanted to install some more RAM so I went and purchased a 1GB stick of DDR 400. I currently have 1GB in already (2*256+1*512). I was hoping to replace the one 256 stick with the new 1GB, but for some reason my MOBO won't accept it. (longer than normal bootup beeps). It justs beeps without booting I mean. I tried each stick individually and they all work, but for some reason now i can't even put back the RAM the way it was prior to purchasing the new GB. The three slots work (I tried each individually). Currently I am running on just the new GB. Anyone know of any issue like this?

Plus, in my mobo book it states that the ram can very in size. I have the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ssocket 754.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. onya

onya Guest

Not being a tech head myself, the problem could be that the new stick is DDR ram, as you say, and your older could be SDR. (Dual data rate and single data rate) Together, they are (if i have this corect) operating via different channels/frequencies, causing system info to be directed differently. No great drama though if this is the case, just replace with compatible memory, or upgrade the older chips to DDR.

As I said I'm no technical whizz, no doubt, so sit tight 'cause others may post with a better solution.

Cheers.
    Edit in bold.+typo's

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2007
  3. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

hi,
    thanks for the reply.

the other sticks are all ddr400. what i don't understand is, why can't i reinstall all the ram i had in b4?

thanks

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Putting back the original sticks exactly from whence they came, should solve the problem. Can't understand why that won't work either.

5. onya

onya Guest

j_holmes, did a quick search on your mobo, nothing but praise in one review :) It also says that a max of 3gig ram is ok. Got me stumped also why it's not working with the original configuration but Individually they are ok? I'll still have a dig around in the meantime.

Cheers.

6. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

hi, and thanks for checking.

i just solved it.. i had to post each stick individually. (put one in, turn pc on till speeker beeps, turn off and start over again.)

thanks for the leg work though.

7. onya

onya Guest

@j_holmes, great news.
    If I've ever fixed anything by trial and error, I'm happy, but I dislike not knowing the reasons behind it all. If you know why or find out why, pls post here again to put me out of my misery...LOL

Cheers.

8. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

most definetly,

take care.

9. vandreads

vandreads Guest

Hello I seem to be having same probelm with my motherboard. I look it up it says good up to 3 gigs of ram well I keep 1 gb of Kingston Value ram 400mhz pc 3200 184 pin Dimm it works fine I add the 2nd and just peeps doesn load up or anything I am very confused and trying to figure out what to fix I am commonly seeing this problem alot. I also have been looking to just overcloak it if for some odd reason this 2nd ram wont work which should set it at 2gigs which is clearly 1 gb under what it can handle on a 520v power supply with plenty of cooling.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

vandreads, try that new stick by itself to see if posts or not.

11. vandreads

vandreads Guest

Each one works fine by itself but neither works in first and 2nd slot or even trying different ways of putting them in slot 1 and slot 3.

12. ddp

what bios version are you using as this is latest version?
    F19 2006/03/30

13. vandreads

vandreads Guest

Yeah I have updated the bios to version F19 no luck or help there.

14. ddp

maybe compatibilty problem between the 2 sticks if made by 2 different companies

15. vandreads

vandreads Guest

Both are the same ram bought them at same time also have a different 1 gb stick I tried to maybe see if same type wouldnt work but a different type would still same end result just black screen boots up and beebs.

16. ddp

check board site for faq to see any mention of that problem

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

Before you go out and buy ram you need to know how much your mainboard can support ussually 4gb if the PC's older depends 1995-1999 youd get around 1gb 2001-2004 max was around 2gb-3gb now its 4gb but that dosent stop it form being less please check and there is a limit per slot for eg I have this old anitehr pc has a D815efv mainboard now its form 2001 the mainboard model but it only supports 512mb PC133SDram its 933mhz but i kept trying to install 512mb into one slot it has 3 slots and it wuld never work I tried 2x 256mb it worked funny thing that Mainboard is like from July 01 while I have a P4 pc anotehr one to the one I use it's form May 01 the MOBO model but it supports up to 2gb DDR1 Ram really wierd and both are Micro-ATX you also need to makesure teh ram you buy isnt cheapo ram some cheap ram is so cheap they can put Gold Plated contacts instead using other metals which really suck and about 95% of mainboards dont support this type of ram so make sure.
    You should try crucial Memory Advisor its really good and tells you exactly what your motherboard can do.
    www.crucial.com

18. vandreads

vandreads Guest

Thanks Daz that actualy helped never saw that site looking for information before.