1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by clay7676, Jan 28, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I have an Intel Pentium 4 processor with 512 MB of ram. I've been expierencing slowwwww gameplay with the games that I play and it's I like to be able to have a computer that runs faster and etc. I was wondering if i ordered another 512 of RAM would i just install it on my computer and then have 1g? or would i have to order 1g of ram to have 1g of ram on my computer?

Comment back
    Thanks

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If you have 512mb of ram on your pc and you install another 512mb your will have 1gb. Assuming that your pc's specs are all fairly decent/"modern", then adding some ram (make sure its the right type!) is one of the easiest, fastest, and usually cheapest ways to speed up your system.

3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

when you say make sure it's the right type do you mean it has to be the same as the one I already have?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

when he says the right type he means that there are different types and speeds of RAM out there. You need to look up the specs on your computer to see what it will take. The manufacturers site or your users manual should be able to tell you.
    examples are:
    184 Pin SDRAM it will also have a number like PC4200 333
    if you do not get the correct memory it will not work.

also a big factor in having good gameplay is the processor speed and the graphics card you have. If you have on board graphics then some games will be glitchy no matter how much RAM you have or how good the processor is because on board graphics just suck.

5. user55

user55 Member

6. user55

user55 Member

I occasionally play games but they were always slow on my cheapy e Machines T1840 1.8GHz Celeron, 256 RAM unit. I kicked it up with a max of 1 GB RAM and a Pentium 4 2.2GHz processor just recently. Next add on will be a Graphics card, too bad I don't have an AGP slot available. In fact, what's a good reasonably priced card that won't damage a cheap skate budget? My games are now faster with the upgrades that I've installed.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

user55, why did you do a quote of steimy's without adding anything? post padding?

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

What type of expansion slot is available to you? Is it a AGP,PCI, or PCI-Express slot? If you dont know which it is post back and I will post pics of each.

9. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

ok, well I actually took out some old ram from an old computer that I have. There are n labels what so ever on it accept a few numbers that meen nothing. Is the only way to find out if it works with my system to put it in and see if it works and if it did work would it just say 1.00 gb of ram installed? or would i need drivers or something.

comment back please

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take out current ram & try other ram 1 stick at a time to see what the ram size is if posts correctly

11. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, i would try the old ram by itself. If the PC has only a 1GB limit then you can put in as much as you like but it will still only recognize 1GB and only use 1GB

Upgrading with a PCI video card you are going to have to spend at least $100 to get any kind or performance at all. Anything less then an X1300 and your most likely just wasting your money.
    Plus the 2.2GHz processor will not be enough to play most newer games on the highest settings anyway.