1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram speed help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by neojapan, Apr 12, 2005.

1. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Hello I have a new computer that I just built and I am having a small problem, hopefully someone can help.I have a P4 HT 3.0 ghz cpu with an asus p4p800-se motherboard,and a stick of PNY 1GB pc3200,now my question when I overclock it to a 3.4 or a 3.6 its stable but my ram goes from a pc3200 to a pc2700 or 2100 ,is this suppose to happen? or am I doing something wrong, if anybody can help me out I would appreciate it thanks

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

What size is your PSU, i dont know if that is the problem thou. The only thing that i can think of is when your over clocking you dont have the power to handle the power needed for both the CPU and RAM.

3. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Thanks for the reply p4_tt,I have a 350w psu could that be the problem?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

350 power supply seems kinda low..

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

neojapan

You need to go into your Bios and set the memory manually from Auto mode to 400. Then you will see it as "400" or PC3200 when you boot.

7. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Hello I tried going into bios but,it did not give the option to change anything only to overclock,I had another question my latency is running at 3-3-3-8 and the chipsetis 865pe.How do I get it tighter?

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

neojapan

Yes it does give you that option!

Review your MB manual which can also be read online by the link below.

You need to set your AI Overclocking to manual and then you will see the settings for DRAM. It will be set to Auto and that is where you will manually set it to 400.

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800-se/e1886_p4p800_se.pdf

Here is the link for the manual. Read it so you will now how to work your board. :)

9. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Thanks scubabud I found it.what if my motherboard supports up to 3.2 but I overclock it to 3.4 will it damage it in any way?

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

neojapan

No it won't damage it but it depends on the heat of the CPU after the O/C. If you are running a Prescott Chip it will already run hot. Try a mild 10% manual O/C first and monitor the Temp of the MB and also the CPU. If you are running a Northwood you will have no problems as long as you system remains stable. Just a mild 10% is all I ever go on mine. Others go nuts and push them to the limit which I don't agree with but that’s just me. Good luck :)

11. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Hello I had another question(sorry to keep on bothering everybody)I overclocked my cpu 10% to 3.4 and I did a benchmark test and it was running at a pc3500 with a latency timing of 3-4-4-8, how can I get a better timing? if anybody can help me I would appreciate it thanks